Brakel (and related breeds) Thread

i was trying to read a little about exporting live birds and geez, its possible but you need the moon and stars to move them from one country to another. not sure about the eggs, depends on if they see them as a commodity . then more paper work and money. we would have to name it the billion dollar brakel .
ep.gif
be cheaper to stuff them in a carry on bag and bring them yourself. tell them its your lunch.
lau.gif
I will look into it,but I am not sure if it's is financially possible.
hmm.png

Amazing!!
Thanks
big_smile.png

I think you can ,but I don't know if there are a lot of them over there.

They are probably very distant related to the Egyptian Fayoumi,brought to Belgium a very long time ago.And crossed with free ranged farmers chickens
Th very first records of Brakel-ish chickens is from 1416 although the first selection to a standard began halfway the 19th centenary .

Yes,Dries I have.
Their eyes seem to be more orange most of the time.
They are more lightweight and there pattern doesn't seem to be very good most of the time,especially on the breast and tail.

In two weeks some chicks will hatch,there are 33 fertilized eggs in the incubator .

Some orange eyes do occur, position of the tail often isn't good either namely above 45°.

The barring has been better in decades past I think.

The lighter weight isn't an issue, they're supposed to be somewhere in between the old style Belgian Campine and the Brakel. Although these days they do tend to be even lighter than supposed.

I've got 10 Campines in the brooders for the end of the month as well.

I noticed a difference in chicks of Campines and Brakels. Perhaps the henfeathering causes it?

Campine chick vs Brakel chicks

Those Brakelchicks look don't look anything like mine,they have orange legs
idunno.gif
And they seem to be much whiter.

These are some of mine,don't pay attention to the middle chick,that ain't a Brakel,that's a Malinois bantam .

you're absolutely right, I just couldn't find better pictures.
what I wanted to point out is that Brakel chicks have more full brown heads and that Campine chicks are more marked all over.
Adult chickens of both breeds however are almost identical.

So does the difference in chicks come from the henfeathering gene or somewhere else?

Back
Top Bottom