Brand new built coop but i feel like it can use BYC'S help, any tips or ideas i can do to make my co

papileo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Los Angeles, California

Front view

Its a pretty simple design, measurements for the bottom portion are: Width- 8 feet, Height- 3 feet, Length- 3 feet

Do my chickens have enough space to walk around ?

Any ideas on how to build a good feeder ?

How can i make a good chicken nesting box?

Any things you guys would want me to add or improve on in my coop?

I have a Splash Old English and a white Wyandotte if any of you would like to know :)

smile.png

Here are my buddies and a side view
D.gif
Thanks to all who help :)

It's a good size for about 4 chickens. Once you get those nest boxes in, it won't be big enough for any more than that. Do you have a run area, or is this coop all that they get?

Your hen might appreciate some more company. Your setup is plenty big for a couple more.

Im planning on getting a Buff Orpington hen and a Barred Rock hen
smile.png

Anything i can add to my coop?
Where do you think the nest boxes should go?
How is your coop set up?
What can i add to my coop to make it better for the chickens?

You should put the nest boxes near the door. If you put them in the far back corner, getting to the eggs daily could literally become a pain in the back. Adding one more roost bar about a foot lower would be good idea. Sometimes a higher ranking hen won't let the lower ranking birds be on 'her' roost.
My coop is an old 10x12 shed for 12 chickens. I've got three 4 feet long, 5 feet high roosts; one roost 4 feet long, 4 feet high, and 2 nine foot long, 3 feet high roosts. I've got 2 nest boxes attached to the wall away from the roosts and positioned about a foot high. I live in a region that gets a lot of intense storms year round so having a big, inside jungle gym for the birds is a huge plus.

You should put the nest boxes near the door. If you put them in the far back corner, getting to the eggs daily could literally become a pain in the back. Adding one more roost bar about a foot lower would be good idea. Sometimes a higher ranking hen won't let the lower ranking birds be on 'her' roost.
My coop is an old 10x12 shed for 12 chickens. I've got three 4 feet long, 5 feet high roosts; one roost 4 feet long, 4 feet high, and 2 nine foot long, 3 feet high roosts. I've got 2 nest boxes attached to the wall away from the roosts and positioned about a foot high. I live in a region that gets a lot of intense storms year round so having a big, inside jungle gym for the birds is a huge plus.

Ahhh very true! I was watching a Youtube video from a channel called Becky's Homestead and she was saying the more dominant hens have their own roost and do not like the younger hens to roost next to them. Multiple roosts with different heights are a great idea! will try.
Do you think the nest boxes should be on the wall (to face me) or on the right-hand side wooden wall (facing to the side) both near the door.

Back
Top Bottom