1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brand new chick owner:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bachchoy, May 19, 2017.

1. bachchoy

bachchoy New Egg

May 19, 2017
    Hi Everyone! Im so excited to have begun this new journey with chickens! I have 4 babies that are 6 weeks old today. (2 buff orpingtons and 2 black sexlinks) I love them so much already, Im just really scared for when the time comes to officially move them from the safety of the garage to the dangerous outdoors. I read all the stories about people losing thier babies and it makes me lay awake at night! I will post pics of the new coop and the girls soon:)

Terrace likes this.
  2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    HI and welcome to BYC!!!!!! Buff Orpingtons are the golden retrievers of the poultry world....black sex links are just as lovable ....my 4 yr old granddaughter carries hers around, and it lays an egg almost every single day...
    Good luck, see you around!
    Sue

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  3. Terrace

Terrace Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Good luck with the chicks. Looking forward to seeing your coop.

4. HeidiN

HeidiN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho

5. Mooker

Mooker Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2017
    Welcome! :frow

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you have them free range outside, you have to expect some randow losses to predators.

If that isn't acceptable - have a large, well built, covered run for them which will
    much safer for them.

You can check out the coops/run section for more ideas & also the predator threads
    for suggestions on increasing safety in coop & run. :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by