Brand new chicks and going away

I wondered if my body heat would be enough to keep them warm??
I don't think so if you want them in a container like a box (which I certainly would). Especially on the way back - even a few days made a lot of difference in how strong and adventurous they are.

I used a couple of squarish shaped juice bottle - maybe a quart or two liter size. I put very, very hot water in them wrapped them in a couple of thin dish towels and wrapped that in press and seal plastic wrap (because I wanted my towels back unstained). And wrapped that in rags. I took layers of rags off at each stop as they cooled. They stayed warm enough for four hours. I had to refill them a couple of times on my much longer leg.

Rice bags would also work but water holds heat longer.

I was using a wool hen, which I think can be warm enough without the water bottles but I jerry rigged the wool hen until I got home. It was a little short of enough wool strips. Also, they still needed a little help going into it and It was just them and me on the road.

I don't think so if you want them in a container like a box (which I certainly would). Especially on the way back - even a few days made a lot of difference in how strong and adventurous they are.

I used a couple of squarish shaped juice bottle - maybe a quart or two liter size. I put very, very hot water in them wrapped them in a couple of thin dish towels and wrapped that in press and seal plastic wrap (because I wanted my towels back unstained). And wrapped that in rags. I took layers of rags off at each stop as they cooled. They stayed warm enough for four hours. I had to refill them a couple of times on my much longer leg.

Rice bags would also work but water holds heat longer.

I was using a wool hen, which I think can be warm enough without the water bottles but I jerry rigged the wool hen until I got home. It was a little short of enough wool strips. Also, they still needed a little help going into it and It was just them and me on the road.
I needed this information, not only for the ride, but there's a planned power outage on Saturday and I was wondering how I'm going to keep them warm. I can just use the same method.
I hadn't considered how adventurous they'll be either! They started hatching last night and they're already all over the incubator picking on each other as they hatch. This is going to be interesting.

I did nearly the same thing last year. I picked up day old chicks at the hackery and drove about six hours, spent four days there, then drove another 8 hours home.

The first leg was no problem. The hatchery put a gel heat source in the box, I left the car heat on as much as I could tolerate or a little more. And checked with a thermometer as well as how they behaved. They made a few murmurs but basically were quiet in sound and movement the entire way.

I think there was shipping stress because there was some vibration and turning and braking and I waited until I arrived to start them on food and water. I think the stress was minimized because I drove as smoothly as possible, the temperature was even, it was as quiet as possible, and things like that.

The next leg was much more difficult. At five days old, they did not huddle quietly in a corner. They acted like they had the day before only more so - more running and jumping around, exploring their space. One managed to jump or fly out of their box... I stopped at goodwill to buy a net thingy to cover the top. A solid cover may work for a four hour trip but I didn't want them in the dark for 8+ hours of the day.

They no longer had the yolk available and I didn't want to try messing with their sleep schedule. Or my sleep schedule. So, I stopped to let them eat and drink about every hour or a little less. The 8 hour trip took almost 12 hours.

Anyway. It can be done with minimal stress to the chicks but it takes significant extra time and attention.

I would take them rather than leave them with no more than a typical neighbor checking in once or twice a day. If the neighbor could be trusted to tend to them similar to how I would, I would prefer to leave them.
Some veterinary hospitals will board them, if you provide a brooder with heat lamp, etc...

Back
Top Bottom