Brand new from South Alabama with questions and concerns!!

ThmsnCrttrFrm

Hatching
7 Years
May 21, 2012
Hey to everyone at BYC!! I love this site and for the past year have researched and gathered much needed information for different reasons on taking care of my chickens. I am up to about 100! Yeah I know but they all have a speacial place in my heart. I have RIR, RIW, Silkies, Copper Marans, Buff Orpingtons, Columbian Wyandottes, Belgian Du'ccles, Domineckers, Grey Hatch and newly aquired Ameraucanas, which are the reason for my thread today. My husband bought me three Ameraucana hens this weekend and was given the rooster, odd I thought, but when he came home with him I understood why. The rooster was in a terrible fight on Saturday with a bigger Ameraucana and sadly to say came out worse for wear. His head has the worst wounds. His comb was ripped and bloody, his left eye is sunken and blue cloudy colored, and his head is swollen. He ate on Saturday and drank water then my husband sprayed him down with Vetericyn wound treatment. My husband didn't want me near him since he's an unknown. He has not eaten or drank since Saturday to my knowlege. Actually I don't think he has even came off his roost. Well I have decided to take matters in my own hands and bring him inside and do whatever I can to make him comfortable, if its not too late. I have some Pro Pen G that I wanted to give him to help with any infection he may have, I have ordered some probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes to give him, but I'm concered about pain management, hydration and food consumption. I am doing all I can and wondered if I can do more? I hate to see an animal in pain and you can clearly tell he is miserable. If anyone has any advice or knows of anything else I can do for this little man please let me know! Thanks so much!

WelcometoBYC.gif

Welcome to BYC! Good luck with the rooster - sounds like he got lucky to have your husband arrive and rescue him for you to care for. I hope he is on the mend soon!

Back
Top Bottom