Brand new to BYC and New to Chicken Raising Also!

Hi everyone. As I previously shared I'm new at this on long island and loving it. They r so calming. But I have a question, maybe a few. As I said I hatched them with my students and kept six. My thinking was for eggs. However it turns out that 4 of my 6 are roosters. I love hearing the crowing but they are getting agressive. I was going to keep one. Now the question I'm not sure what to do with them if no one will take them. People tell me to take advantage of the fresh kill meat. Are roosters usually eatten like a chicken? I myself just can't. I've named them all. But can't keep all the roosters. The neighbors will not be happy and they are picking on girls. Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Diane

I have 6, 2 pullets just revealed their true sex this week. I will be reducing my flock by those two real soon for dinner. I have a total of 34 adults/juveniles and 12 week old chicks

First off, Welcome to BYC!!

Secondly, I would attempt to rehome them, or sell them on Craigs List. You do need to be open minded to the fact, that even if they have names, the person(s) may have other ideas for their use. You have to be willing to let them go, regardless if they are going to be dinner, or some one's flock leader. That can be a hard hurdle to handle.
If you have the time, you may be able to advertise them, especially if they are a full breed, good lines, but will take longer.

Welcome to the chicken world!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom