Brand New to Chickens with a large learning curve.

TheAccidentalVegetarian

In the Brooder
May 22, 2022
Hello All, My name is Joan. My husband and I have finally done it. Well are now the proud "parents" of 12 chickens! And all though I've been doing research for about a year now on how best to care for them I am still feeling insecure that I am doing everything or even anything right. Except for the fact that they are growing leaps and bounds daily. So I'm here to learn at the feet of the more experienced chicken "parents". Please do not hesitate to share your wisdom. Thanks.

Welcome to BYC. My advice is to read the articles on here, and read the posts and responses, especially about emergencies and predators. Learn before things happen, and you can deal with stuff yourself, and maybe even prevent issues. Gather up a first aid kit ahead of time. Then, sit back and enjoy your chickens. Spend time with them, so you know what is normal. If you're not sure, ask. We all love chicken pictures too!

Not many people here call themselves chicken "parents". I, personaly, am a chicken keeper.
Some tips:
Don't buy a prefab coop.
Feed Flock Raiser or Chick feed, oyster shell on the side. Layer can be protein deficient for some higher production breeds.
Treats, (anything that's not chicken feed) should be less than 10% of daily diet.
Good treats (in moderation) veggies, fruits, cheese, mealworms, unprocessed meats, yogurt, most scraps. Avoid onions, fatty or salty foods.
A chicken eats approximately 4oz a day.
Chickens are omnivores and quite predatory, they will eat mice, lizards, snakes, small birds and eggs.
Diatomaceous Earth is not effective for bugs and is harmful to breathe for you and your birds.
If putting anything in the water (acv, garlic, vitamins) don't supplement longer than 10 days and always provide plain water alongside.
Know your predators and secure the best you can against them.
Chicken wire isn't predator proof at all.
At least 4 sq feet per bird in the coop, 10 sq per bird in the run, 1 foot per bird for the roosts and 1 next box per three hens.
You will loose 1 or 2 despite your best efforts, learn for the rest you still have and take care of them.
Don't carry torches for dead birds.
Learn basic treatment for illness and injury, (the articles section is great for that) as most vets won't see chickens, might not know about poultry or will charge you an arm and a leg for something simple.
Be or have someone willing and able to put down a bird if necessary. Some things can't be healed.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom