Brand New to Chickens!

AmyVoigt

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
Hi everyone! I am brand new to chickens and we will officially start our journey on August 5th when we receive our first batch of chicks! We plan on starting with 15 layers. We are getting three breeds, five of each: Barred Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, and Isa-Brown. This spring, we plan on raising 30 Cornish Cross Broilers for meat. Our intention is to eventually sell eggs and meat for some extra money.

My husband and I have talked about raising chickens for years but didn't get the push to do it until now. We currently operate a small dairy farm and love the fact that we can get most of our meat and dairy from our farm. We have been able to get pork from a neighbor as well and we started up a garden this year from raised beds. The past year and a half was a difficult one as I am also a high school math teacher and all the Covid restrictions just sucked the life out of me by the time school ended. I decided to make this summer all about "me" and used the farm and garden as a means to reconnect with myself and finally get recharged.

In addition to teaching, I also coach HS volleyball and run Prom for my school. Most Saturday nights, I bartend for a little extra spending cash or to catch up on unexpected bills. We also have a border collie, Kota, who will turn one at the end of August as well as many farm cats. In the past, both my husband and I were constantly rushing off to play softball or volleyball. As we have gotten older and have physically slowed down, we enjoy just hanging out at home enjoying a good bonfire or an old movie on TV.

I found BYC through Facebook as I was looking for a group to help give us ideas as we are building our own coop for this new endeavor. I am soaking in as much information as I can and can't wait to share what we are doing with my students when school starts up again in the fall. I look forward to reading others posts and hopefully get many of my own questions answered.

Hi everyone! I am brand new to chickens and we will officially start our journey on August 5th when we receive our first batch of chicks! We plan on starting with 15 layers. We are getting three breeds, five of each: Barred Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, and Isa-Brown. This spring, we plan on raising 30 Cornish Cross Broilers for meat. Our intention is to eventually sell eggs and meat for some extra money.

My husband and I have talked about raising chickens for years but didn't get the push to do it until now. We currently operate a small dairy farm and love the fact that we can get most of our meat and dairy from our farm. We have been able to get pork from a neighbor as well and we started up a garden this year from raised beds. The past year and a half was a difficult one as I am also a high school math teacher and all the Covid restrictions just sucked the life out of me by the time school ended. I decided to make this summer all about "me" and used the farm and garden as a means to reconnect with myself and finally get recharged.

In addition to teaching, I also coach HS volleyball and run Prom for my school. Most Saturday nights, I bartend for a little extra spending cash or to catch up on unexpected bills. We also have a border collie, Kota, who will turn one at the end of August as well as many farm cats. In the past, both my husband and I were constantly rushing off to play softball or volleyball. As we have gotten older and have physically slowed down, we enjoy just hanging out at home enjoying a good bonfire or an old movie on TV.

I found BYC through Facebook as I was looking for a group to help give us ideas as we are building our own coop for this new endeavor. I am soaking in as much information as I can and can't wait to share what we are doing with my students when school starts up again in the fall. I look forward to reading others posts and hopefully get many of my own questions answered.
Welcome! PMed you! (We have lots in common!)

Back
Top Bottom