Brand new to this. HELP!

spock78

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
I just got 2 chicks, from a feed store. 1 died in less than 12hrs. It was the active one. The inactive 1 still lives but is always chirping(constantly) & does not seem to eat or drink. It just sits there all hunched up.
I should say that I was given 2 others a couple weeks ago & they are doing fine although they are a different breed.

My questions are:

1)Is there some sort of formula that I can make for my little baby to eat thru an eye dropper?

2)Should I worry about this or is it just a matter of nature & only the strong survive?

I don't know...
Thanks for any help.

I'm completely an ignorant idiot at this.

spock78 a constantly chirping chic usually means it cold or lonley. How is your brooder set up? I am assuming you got the basics,draft free box, heat lamp, waterer and feeder. What wattage light are you using? You might have to increase it. If she is just lonley a mirror or a plushy doll may help. Or maybe its possible to put her brooder close to where the older chics are, so that they can see each other but not get to close(don't want the older ones to peck her.
If the chick isn't eating chick starter from the feederI would put some of the chick starter on the paper towels in the brooder(or whatever you have in there) she might be more inclined to peck at it. I had one who wasn't drinking and I got a needleless seringe from the pharmacy and got a bead at the tip and dipped it in her beak. after a few sips I placed her back in the brooder and put the saringe tip on the waterer and tapped at it. She seemed to get the idea.
I hope some of my suggestions help.

You could try to feed it some plain yogurt with active cultures. Try mixing a bit of hard cooked egg yolk or oatmeal or feed into it. The yogurt w/cultures will help increase the beneficial flora in the bird's digestive system.

If you only got 2 birds and only have 1 left, try putting a small stuffed toy or a mirror in the brooder with the chick so it doesn't feel lonely. Birds are social creatures and very young chicks don't do well by themselves.

Did you dip the chicks' beaks into the water and show them the feed when you first got them? Remember chicks hatched under a hen would be taught about food from the hen. You have to take the hen's place when raising chicks by teaching them where to get food and water.

Is the brooder at the proper temp for new chicks? Week 1 the temp should be 90-95°; Week 2 at 85-90°, Week 3 at 80-85°, Week 4 at 75-80° and Week 5 at 70-75°.

Make sure there are no drafts hitting the chick.

If edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom