Cross beak advice

kharlin96

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2023
Hi! I’m new to raising chickens and am seeking advice. I’ve read several cross beak posts already but wanted to share my own pictures to seek feedback.
I have 7 silkies and 2 meyers “cookies & cream” chicks that are 4 weeks old. About 3 weeks ago 1 cookies and cream began to develop cross beak. It’s getting worse as she ages and now I see her get frustrated with the feeder and try pulling at it. I do have a deep feeder for her but she ignores that one completely if any other chicks are eating from it.

First pic is from today. Second one is exactly 8 days ago. She has grown until this point but given her hesitation at the feed trough when others are around versus her usual fiesta attitude, I just want to make sure I’m not letting her suffer.

Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 10
:welcome:welcome:welcome

It looks like your sweet baby is severe. I recommend reading this article here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...kens-including-tube-feeding-techniques.64321/

A crossbeak's beak will continue to cross as it grows older. Because how bad she is already, she's probably going to need to be tube fed all her life and probably should start now. That article says how to do it.

For maintenance outside of tube feeding her, you will need to trim her beak every 2-4 weeks so her beak doesn't get too long. If you're doing it consistently, you should be able to file it down (top beak and bottom) with a regular emery board nail file.

:welcome:welcome:welcome

It looks like your sweet baby is severe. I recommend reading this article here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...kens-including-tube-feeding-techniques.64321/

A crossbeak's beak will continue to cross as it grows older. Because how bad she is already, she's probably going to need to be tube fed all her life and probably should start now. That article says how to do it.

For maintenance outside of tube feeding her, you will need to trim her beak every 2-4 weeks so her beak doesn't get too long. If you're doing it consistently, you should be able to file it down (top beak and bottom) with a regular emery board nail file.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom