Brand new to this. What a life saver!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by siriusblack, Mar 24, 2017.

1. siriusblack

siriusblack Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minnesota
    Hi! I just hatched with a broody hen this the first time last week! Mostly a success! I do have some questions. I have a whole mix of chickens, some austrolorp, an orpington, barred rocks, Americana (or so I was told, but probably EEs) and some RIRs. Also one I don't know what she is. But one of my EEs turned out to be a rooster. So I found my orpington being broody and decided to let her have a go at it. She did great! No idea whose eggs were under her, but got 2 yellow chicks with the chipmunk striping. So I'm assuming it's the orpington. All others are either black, or black with yellow butts and spots on their heads. How do i know what hen they came from, or do I need to wait til they are older? Keeping some. Giving some to friends. I'll post pics and maybe someone can help me? [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. siriusblack

siriusblack Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

3. siriusblack

siriusblack Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

4. siriusblack

siriusblack Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Minnesota
    Also, because it was my first time and I didn't know any better I ended up with a staggered hatch. Mama was done after 10 chocks, left 4 eggs in nest. I took them and made a quick incubator best I could. All 4 hatched, one assisted. And one died 2 hours afterwards.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, siriusblack, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I am the worlds worst breed guesser so I will leave it to the experts in the following forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    It may be a little young to ID them yet, however. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC - good save with your self made incubator, sounds like you are going to do well with chickens. The best time to evaluate for breed & gender is usually 6-8 weeks - when the chicks are fully feathered out

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under siriusblack [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations and well done! [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your broody and bator hatches!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by