Brand new to this. What a life saver!

siriusblack

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2017
Minnesota
Hi! I just hatched with a broody hen this the first time last week! Mostly a success! I do have some questions. I have a whole mix of chickens, some austrolorp, an orpington, barred rocks, Americana (or so I was told, but probably EEs) and some RIRs. Also one I don't know what she is. But one of my EEs turned out to be a rooster. So I found my orpington being broody and decided to let her have a go at it. She did great! No idea whose eggs were under her, but got 2 yellow chicks with the chipmunk striping. So I'm assuming it's the orpington. All others are either black, or black with yellow butts and spots on their heads. How do i know what hen they came from, or do I need to wait til they are older? Keeping some. Giving some to friends. I'll post pics and maybe someone can help me?
[/IMG][/IMG]

Also, because it was my first time and I didn't know any better I ended up with a staggered hatch. Mama was done after 10 chocks, left 4 eggs in nest. I took them and made a quick incubator best I could. All 4 hatched, one assisted. And one died 2 hours afterwards.

Welcome to BYC - good save with your self made incubator, sounds like you are going to do well with chickens. The best time to evaluate for breed & gender is usually 6-8 weeks - when the chicks are fully feathered out

G’Day from down under siriusblack
frow.gif
Welcome!

Congratulations and well done!
clap.gif

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom