Brand new Turkey Lover with Anonymous Breed Poults

CosmicSpaceCadet

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
Hello,
I have some turkeys who are beginning to grow flight feathers. How old are they? I have no idea the breed of my little ones either. Is there a resource I could try to cross examine with? They’re yellow and a couple are beginning to show brown spots on the very tips of their new feathers in the back

Hello,
I have some turkeys who are beginning to grow flight feathers. How old are they? I have no idea the breed of my little ones either. Is there a resource I could try to cross examine with? They’re yellow and a couple are beginning to show brown spots on the very tips of their new feathers in the back
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. The variety of turkey poults can usually be identified shortly after drying off from hatching or once they have their adult feathers at 3 to 6 months old. Many of the crosses are difficult to determine what they are without knowing the parentage because there are no reference photos for many of the possible varieties.

You can look through many of the heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. The variety of turkey poults can usually be identified shortly after drying off from hatching or once they have their adult feathers at 3 to 6 months old. Many of the crosses are difficult to determine what they are without knowing the parentage because there are no reference photos for many of the possible varieties.

You can look through many of the heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.
Thanks I’ll check it out. I swear it said “Californian Broad Breasted Turkey” but when I search my results say this breed is extinct?! Not sure 🤔

Hello,

Attachments

• D2DC6C63-82E8-4335-95E6-B47CA498DEBD.jpeg
    D2DC6C63-82E8-4335-95E6-B47CA498DEBD.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks I’ll check it out. I swear it said “Californian Broad Breasted Turkey” but when I search my results say this breed is extinct?! Not sure 🤔
They do look like the variety broad breasted white turkeys aka known as Giant Whites.

When I Google Californian Broad Breasted Turkey, I do not get any results at all. To the best of my knowledge the only turkeys referred to as California are broad breasted whites or broad breasted bronze turkeys which are referred to as California broad breasted simply because they are raised in California. Broad breasted turkeys are definitely not extinct

There are many sites that misuse the term breed as it applies to turkeys.
Some do so simply because they don't know any better and some know better but do it intentionally because they want to.

Back
Top Bottom