Brand spanking new chicken momma here

Oldladyappletree

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2020
West Virginia
Hey folks. I’m 61 years old, retired and brand new chicken momma. I’ve read books, searched on line and asked lots of questions. I’m thrilled to find you folks.

Here’s my first question. When do I move my girls outside? They are Cinnamon Queens, 4 1/2 weeks old and adorable. I live in West Virginia which is a cold, mountainous state. Right now it’s in the 80s in the day and 50-60s at night

Next question is when do I start giving them calcium?

Thanks a million I am terrified I’ll do something wrong and harm them. I’m super happy to find y’all

Last edited:
GOD help you dear.
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Hey! I'M 51 years old and I'm far from retired...
I'd move them out now. I have 8 chicks outside with their mother in Upstate NY. They just turned 5 weeks old yesterday. They spend very little time under her now... well, mostly because they don't fit anymore.
Give your chicks a huddle box for them to pile into at night and they will do fine.
As for the feed situation, I always recommend keeping the flock on a higher protein complete feed like Flock Raiser and put out multiple containers of oyster shell on the side at 16 weeks. That is also when you will want to start opening nest boxes just to get them acquainted with them.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Hey! I'M 51 years old and I'm far from retired...
I'd move them out now. I have 8 chicks outside with their mother in Upstate NY. They just turned 5 weeks old yesterday. They spend very little time under her now... well, mostly because they don't fit anymore.
Give your chicks a huddle box for them to pile into at night and they will do fine.
As for the feed situation, I always recommend keeping the flock on a higher protein complete feed like Flock Raiser and put out multiple containers of oyster shell on the side at 16 weeks. That is also when you will want to start opening nest boxes just to get them acquainted with them.
Thank you. That’s exactly what I needed to know

Hey folks. I’m 51 years old, retired and brand new chicken momma. I’ve read books, searched on line and asked lots of questions. I’m thrilled to find you folks.

Here’s my first question. When do I move my girls outside? They are Cinnamon Queens, 4 1/2 weeks old and adorable. I live in West Virginia which is a cold, mountainous state. Right now it’s in the 80s in the day and 50-60s at night

Thanks a million I am terrified I’ll do something wrong and harm them. I’m super happy to find y’all
1591270711824.png

I live just north of Morgantown and put my chicks, at four weeks old, outside two weeks ago. I have a brooder coop (pictured) that I keep them in. I put a mother hen radiate heat plate in with them. On cooler nights they huddle on top of it, but most nights they've been roosting.

View attachment 2176098

I live just north of Morgantown and put my chicks, at four weeks old, outside two weeks ago. I have a brooder coop (pictured) that I keep them in. I put a mother hen radiate heat plate in with them. On cooler nights they huddle on top of it, but most nights they've been roosting.
Thank you

Hey folks. I’m 51 years old, retired and brand new chicken momma. I’ve read books, searched on line and asked lots of questions. I’m thrilled to find you folks.

BTW. I need an edit button. I’m 61 not 51

Back
Top Bottom