1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brandy for Sangria ?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NYboy, May 16, 2012.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Having friends over Sat , rather then open a bottle of wine, I want to make Sangria. I found some good recipes, all calling for brandy. I am cluess when it comes to brandy anyone have suggestions on a good one?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't have any brand suggestions, but I can tell you that cheap brandy is awful and expensive brandy is delicious.

Brandy stores well and most recipes only call for a little bit, so I regard it as a flavoring and bite the bullet and buy good brandy.

Brandy, butter, and green pepper corns make a delicious sauce for elk, and would be good on chicken or beef.

I thought sangria was wine and fruit juice. I wasn't aware that there was any brandy in it.

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Most top shelf sangria (as the naming craze goes) has brandy in it - usually cheap stuff like Ernest & Julio. We make sangria in a 3 litre spiketed tea container. Lots of orange, lemon, lime slices, strawberries and watermelon chunks. If you got a large punch bowl even better, then your guests can ladle out lots of the fruit into their glasses. A LOT OF ICE is really important. Being very cold really makes the sangria more refreshing, if it gets warm folks get sick easy. Not pretty party favors.

4. micheller1210

micheller1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Vancouver/Clark county
    Sangria is a wine with fruit and fruit juice, white or red wine, with a shot of Brandy, I guess people will always try and reinvent the wheel, I suppose there is a favorite recipe for every bartender, growing up on the border I like my Sangria light, not to get drunk or a buzz, but to stay hydrated and to enjoy, your family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by