Breach Baby- when do I know IF & when it needs help?

cgmccary

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 14, 2007
NE Alabama
I have got one chick hatching out of the small end of the shell- it has made a zip around the small end already but it is not out; when do I help it out OR is there a possibility it'll make it on its own? Need advice from anyone with experience.

Chris

How long has it been trying to hatch. It could take it 24 hours or so to hatch. I would just watch it for now and see what it does. remember do not open the bator unless you have to!

listen for him. he will let you know wehn its time to help. as soon as you see him not moving around as much and not chirping as much that is when i would help, becasue that means that if i dont help the chic probably wont make it. but ive heard of them shipin through that end and being just fine. so i wouldnt worry too much. how long has the baby been in process of getting out?

It has been maybe 3-4 hours but because it is a rather pointed egg, the small end is very small and it did not take it as long to complete the zip-- shell is still attched-- I can't see it fitting out that end. I haven't had one of these with the air sac at the wrong end to make it this far-- usually they have been infertile--

when do I know to help?

I have one in another batch a week behind these, (so was fertile) & that has made it 2 weeks already so if I learn now, I can help it out next week too.

If it was me I would leave it for a couple of hours longer and just see what progress he makes. My last hatch was awefull I had to help almost all of them out of the shell. It is really your call and when you think you need to do something.

edited to say: just watch his breathing and listen to his chirping when you start hearing less then it may be time to do something

Last edited:
I'm going now to keep vigil & will let you know what happens-- it was a long night (I read the intervention- not sure I have dull tweezers, but will make do)- this is goin to be a drawn out hatch; I can already tell--if I intervene it will give me a chance to take the egg rollers out-- now two of em--gotta go-

I'll get a picture of the zip this breach baby's made-- you won't believe how small the hole is gonna be--thank you

you are very welcome. I used my fingernail with some of my hatch's because the shell was so dry it just poped right off. Alote of people on here do not like to tell you to intervene just in cause something happens, but it is really up to you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Chris,

If the chick did a complete circle around the egg (the zip) and is still not out, I would help it get out. The problem with helping most people run into is that they start trying to pry the chick out before it even pips or zips. If the chick zips it is ready to come out, they don't zip and then rest. Chances are it is malpositioned since it is at the wrong end and will need help to free itself. Good luck!

Richard

Hey Richard.

I tried to get the chick out but it was too late. It died in its shell. It was positioned wrong. Something went terriby wrong with this whole hatch. I ended up with 4 out of 14. Bad day. The other eggs are still in the hatcher but I candled them and do not see or hear anything. I always hold out some hope of being wrong on my "end candling." To top it all off, I've sexed these 4 as ALL cockerels. Can it be?

Next hatch is due Thursday & the clutch looks good right now. There is one in that batch that has the air sac at the wrong end. I started not to set the egg but am experimenting some this year. About 1 in 6 of my eggs have the air sac at the wrong end. This is an inbreeding issue, I believe. Most of these eggs are not fertile or die early in incubation. This one coming this Thursday looks good for air sac size, moving, living-- when I candle it except the air sac is on the small end.

I changed tactics this clutch coming & had started storing these with the air sacs on the wrong end with their small ends up & keeping them that way the whole time.

I've got 1 new chick that can't stand or walk (I posted a help me on the "Raising Chicks")-- thanks everyone for your advice. CHRIS

Back
Top Bottom