bread for feed?

j_d

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
ive just found a souce for whole/multi grain bread, the really expensive stuff that reminds me of cardboard that is a couple of days old and really cheap. my chickens, buff orpingtons and also some cornish rock crosses right now are all about 7 wks old. those rocks are pigs and id like to substitue some of their feed with this bread. i should also add that i keep them on grass and some scraps. im wondering with the bread and grass/ranging how little feed i could get away with providing and still get good results. any help is appreciated.
josh

Chickens can't tolerate too much salt. Bread has too much for them, I think. We feed wholegrain bread as a treat only.... like no more than 1/4 of a slice per bird every other day or so.

I agree with seachick. You will also need to watch the overall nutrition. Bread, besides being too salty, doesn't provide a balanced diet. I let my girls loose in my yard daily and/or provide them with fresh veggies and fruits. They prefer the fresh over the feed but will still eat the feed. I would just give them an occasional snack of bread rather than use it for their main intake.

thanks folks, i appreciate all the advice. I wont be totally supplementing bread for feed but i think im going to go out on a limb a little bit and experiment with feeding a significant amount of bread. my rational is that bread is mostly grain and that i still give them free access to their regular feed and they get significant free range time. i will be monitoring closely for any changes in health or behavior.
thanks
joshua

I have to pipe in & say that if it's a whole grain bread that would be considered heath food for people, then the nutritional value might be OK. Check the nutrional labels - if you'd eat it (or if someone you know who is very healthy would)... maybe OK.

If, however, it's the equivalent of wonderbread with no nutritional value, I wouldn't give it to the chickens. It would be empty calories for them. Chicken junk food.

On a somewhat related note, I've been feeding a small corn tortilla every day to my neighbors' 6 chickens (I'm chicken sitting while they're on vacation). Their chickens don't come to "here chick chick"... but they're starting to now!

This is sort of off topic but it's REALLY important to have your chickens trained to come when you call! Mine escaped today...one of my dogs killed one. I was able to get the other 11 back home quickly because they know to get their fuzzy little butts to where I am when I call them (can you say TREATS?).

Back
Top Bottom