Bread is the word!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NinnyGillaspie, Nov 7, 2011.

1. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    I fed my 3 week old RIR chicks some very small pieces of plain white bread, and they just loved it! It was so funny to watch them, and hear them chowing down. I only gave them about an 1/8 piece of bread between 9 chicks total. Will that be ok?

2. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    No more.

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine bread as a treat every morning when I let them out..wheat or multigrain only and they love it..and I have never had any problems...I always look for the loaves of bread when they are like 49c...

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I give my chickens treats of whole grain bread and they love it, too. I'd be careful about feeding white bread because it gets so gummy. Your chicks have chick grit available, yes?

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i dont give mine white i acually buy a really good 7 grain bread for my birds i have 40.. and give them one to two pieces every other day..
    but white bread has no health benifits so i recomend not doing it often.

6. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I give mine bread all the time and also [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] to the BYC
    Bread is cute but serves no nutritional value. I try to feed my girl treats that are good for them to eat. Mashed eggs, veggies of all types, fruits but no citrus. I mix 1 tablespoon oatmeal with 1 hard boiled egg, 1 tablespoon of DE, 1 tablespoon Flax seed and I use 1/4 cut of the medicated chick feed and wet it until it is mush mix it all together and they eat it to the grain. this is for 5 juveniles. I never put more down than they can finish in 5 minutes. If they leave it its to much. I they finish it in a couple minutes I make a bit more by heaping a bit.

8. Bounder9

Bounder9 New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    My girls love bread, I also give them a piece of bread as a treat..like they say everything in moderation. If you really want to have them come running try dried mealworms [​IMG]

9. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    I feed my flock 3 loaves of scratch bread from the bread store "Scratch" Bags daily in the morning. They love it. I have had no health issues, their eggs are strong, yolks orange and rich, and you must remember bread is vitamin forteified. It has extra calcium, b and d vitamins, as in humans we must have vitamin D to absorb our calcium, as do our avian children. Just remember bread has little protien and I am giving the loaves to a flock of 40 hens, 5 roos, and 5 turkeys. It is good for a small boost in vitamins and minerals, a little protien, and a lot of love for a treat from your birds. If we have a good egg day I throw in 2 extra loaves as a thank you treat. I did harvest a turkey today and I was amazed at how his heart and liver were so meaty and absent of fat, since I feed them bread, and in his crop I pulled out oyster shell, granite grit, corn, layer feed pellets, and BREAD. He was undressed at 43 pounds, and dressed at 36.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by