bread machines

A bread machine does everything! All you have to do is place carefully measured ingredients into the pan, choose your setting and walk away. That being said, I prefer to use mine to make the dough and then do the baking in the oven. I like this because it is easy and very little mess. I do not have a dough hook, so I cannot speak to that...I really enjoy bread making and do not buy in the store anymore.

I agree with Lesa, I only use mine for mixing dough as I don't like the square loaves it bakes. I would love to have a stand mixer but my bread machine (give to me by MIL) does a great job and I don't have the $$$ for a good stand mixer.

Bread machines are awesome. You put the stuff in there, press a button, and walk away. It mixes, kneads the dough, rises it, then bakes it. So easy, and no mess. Mine also makes cakes, jelly and preserves, and dense loaves. I have one of those kitchenaid stand mixers. All I really use it for is grinding deer meat and making deer sausage. It has a grinder/ stuffer attachment. They are really expensive, though.

Sounds like I need a bread machine! It also sounds like if u have a bread machine that u don't really need a stand mixer. So maybe bread machine for b-day and i'll wait for mixer. Thanks for the info

I've done both. I prefer the bread from my mixer. My breads are using my fresh whole wheat flour, so it's important to be able to watch the kneading and add flour accordingly in order to get a nice, fluffy bread. I also like to finish up my dough by kneading it by hand for the last minute or so to make sure the texture is right. Also, with my mixer I can make 2 loaves of bread, then mix a double batch of pretzels and let them rise at the same time. I do this every weekend. With a bread machine I could do 1 loaf of bread at at time. I always only used my bread machine for kneading (I'm pretty bread fussy) anyway. My mixer was a recent birthday gift, but it counts for my anniversary and any other special occasion this year.

Edited to add - the mixer was better for me also because I do a ton of baking and wanted the versatility. If the only thing you are making is the occasional loaf of bread, yes a breadmachine would be more cost-effective. Especially if you can find a used one.

Last edited:
*most* serious bakers don't use a bread machine. A stand mixer will let you do cakes, candy, granola, and bread.

Bread machines give a lot of crust for the amount of crumb (the fluffy stuff inside).

It's hard to adjust for conditions when baking because the unit is closed and the dough can be hard to read.

They take up counter space and can walk off the counter.

You can always make dough, store it in the fridge, and bake it when ready if the convenience is what's attracting you.

I love my KitchenAid. I love bread.

I don't love my bread machine.

If you still want one, go to Goodwill and see their huge selection. The bread machines can be found between the iced tea pots, foot spas, and food dehydrators.

My opinion, do with it as you will.

I hate my bread machine. It usually takes me 4 tries to make a decent
loaf of bread, even using the recipes in the book.
Using a mixer is much better, and they taste soooo much better.

Quote:
Ha Ha Ha
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

This happened once when I left to go on a quick errand and oldest DS was home. It made a huge mess for him.

If you get a mixer, make sure to get one that can deal with bread doughs. I make double batches of whole wheat breads, so I got the bigger professional model of KitchenAid mixer. It's much more versatile than a bread machine (you definately can't make chocolate mousse in a bread machine
tongue.png
). In fact, I just mixed up a nice batch of croissant dough, yum!

Back
Top Bottom