Bread?

mrchicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Can I feed my 3 wk old chickens bread? I have 2 Welsummers and 2 White Ausralorps.
(I feed them grit of course)

Sure you can. Try a whole piece and watch the games begin. At three weeks my girls were eating crickets and meal worms also. Now at 5 weeks they get bananas, grapes and a friend gave me some wheat that he feeds his flock with
they get that as a treat once a day. Grapes are for there 7pm treat. Yea spoiled in Up state NY.
jumpy.gif

They love the stuff. Mine loved meal worms at like a month and they used to love when one of my kids would toss them a cheese puff at snack time. I have not found anything yet that my chicks and hens won't eat.
thumbsup.gif

I only give my chickens dry & stale bread but they love it. I won't give them bread that isn't dried out though. They seem to choke on it or something..get lots of coughing in mine if it is not completely dry..Hence, DEHYDRATOR

It's just me, but when my chooks are little I skipped the bread in favor of healthier treats - mealworms, crickets, eggs (scrambled/hardboiled), yogurt, small amounts of fruit, veggies, etc.)

I feed the big chickens chopped bread with some scratch as a treat. I buy a barrel at the bread store for $7. The dog gets the bagels as a reward for guarding my livestock;-)

I this doesn't go with this thread, but I believe can almost feed them anything? Correct me if I'm wrong

you're right. they are omnivorous.

i cooked some steaks on the grill the other night. i had a piece of fat about 4" long, probably 1/2" thick both ways that i had trimmed off before eating.

i took it outside where my rooster and 3 hens (and their pet banty, bridgette) were fartin around in the yard. i tossed it out to them, one hen grabbed it and took off, the others hot on her heals.

it was quite humorous, actually. they're light sussex, quite large, and definitely not used to that much exercise! they all started out running.... after 5 minutes, it was painful to watch her still trying to out run them. i say "out run," but they were all hardly even walking at this point, you could see the burn in their muscles lol

Back
Top Bottom