breaking a broody in the heat of the summer

aldarita

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Brenham TX
I live in south central Texas, our summers are extremely hot (100-110 F). I have been able to break my broodys by moving them in a broody breaker cage that I keep in a room that has an AC. These broodys are high in the pecking order and have no trouble getting back to the flock after few days of being gone.

This week one of my broodys hatched 7 chicks. I bought speckled sussex fertilized eggs. This is my first SS batch I have ever had and for I have read, they are very tame and friendly which makes them usually be at the bottom of the pecking order. I am trying to find a way to keep them in their run in a broody breaker cage when they get broody so it wouldn't be so difficult for them to reintegrate when they are over their broodiness, however it is so very hot over here in our 7 month summer that I am concerned about them being way too hot. Their coop and run are under a tree shade and with a roof, I also have fans to circulate the air.

I would like to know if anybody here in BYC forum has had any experience breaking a broody in a cage with high temperatures and humidity and if they have any tips to pass around.

Back
Top Bottom