Breaking broody hen - clear poop?

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
I have my first broody hen and I have to break her of it. She’s been producing clear liquid poop, which I read can be the result of stress. Is the stress of not being able to get inside the coop why? I’m so worried I’m doing something wrong. I only want to use the dog crate as an absolute last resort.

Why? I use one as a broody breaker and it works well. It's set up with her own feed, water, and a length of 2x4 for her to perch on.

It's a small crate, 18x24, and I set it up inside the coop.
Just personal preference. If I can break it without having to separate her, that’s my preference.

when I went out after sunset she was drinking a lot of water (I’d been worried about her because she’d been panting so much) and she ate some food, and had a normal poop. She went into the coop, and jumped straight up on the roost. I stayed until the sun was down to make sure she didn’t jump down, but I also blocked that nest and took the bedding out of it. So I’m hoping for the best.

If she went to roost, she might not be "all the way" broody. If she's drinking a lot of water, you can expect her to have watery poop.

Keep an eye on her, anyway. If you're worried about her poop, you can post pictures here. Their poop says a lot about their health. We see lots of poop pictures, so no, it's not weird or gross. :)

Back
Top Bottom