Breaking broody hen?

hereorthere

Songster
11 Years
Sep 18, 2011
Pacific NW
What's the best way to do it?

I know I need to do cool down the belly/internal temps but not sure how best to go about doing this?

I already have 2 broody/mama hens - 1st w/ 11 babies & 2nd is approaching Day18 on her clutch. Really, really need to break the 3rd as she fought with 2nd hen and already broke 2 eggs. :barnie

I use a hanging wire cage/wire bottom, use a rabbit feeder hanging on the outside to feed then, and a hanging 2 liter water bottle cut in half---hanging in the corner---could also use one of these in another corner her her feed. No bedding and No perch/roost pole.. Only takes 3 FULL days to break. I have broken many, but I break them when they are getting started---I do not wait a few weeks---if I did I might leave her in 4 full days. No letting her out to do anything for those 3 days. Again 3 FULL DAYS min. that's 72 full hours. (example---Some put them in middle of the day Monday and take her out Middle of the day Wednesday---LOL---NOPE)!!

You can set a wire bottom cage on some bricks but the bricks need to only be just under the edge----if they are way under it she might set on them. Good Luck

Some hens are easier to break than others. I just pick them off the nest and put outside. I had one hen recently that I had to do that twice in a row and she finally got tired of me messing with her and she stayed in the run with the rest of the flock. The other was just crazed with hormones and she made all kinds of fuss and tried to run back to her nest and I set her outside again. I finally had to lock everyone out of that coop so she couldn't go back to her nestbox. We spent two full days like that before there was peace. I don't think it helped that I had two broody hens with chicks at the time.

Some hens are easier to break than others. I just pick them off the nest and put outside.

Have been doing this exact same thing since last weekend. Unfortunately, she's quite the stubborn gal.

I use a hanging wire cage/wire bottom, use a rabbit feeder hanging on the outside to feed then, and a hanging 2 liter water bottle cut in half---hanging in the corner---could also use one of these in another corner her her feed. No bedding and No perch/roost pole.. Only takes 3 FULL days to break.

You can set a wire bottom cage on some bricks but the bricks need to only be just under the edge----if they are way under it she might set on them. Good Luck

Will try this! Thanks! Keeping the fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom