breaking broody

Egrant97

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Last week, through this site i discovered on of my girls has gone "broody". I tried putting her on the roost at night just to discover her right back in the nesting box. I then tried the wire cage trick. Friday morning through sunday night she spent in the cage ( I FEEL HORRIBLE) I did let her out once on saturday then right back into the cage. Last night i thought "for sure this has been long enough". I let her out to free range with the other lady, closed the gate so she could not get to the nesting box, and i find her triyng to nest on the ground. I picked he up and brought her back to the yard, and you guessed it, she bee-lined it right back to the nesting box. I guess I have to deal with her until she is ready to be done? Please help!

She'll need to stay in her cage (don't let her out) for three to five days. Then let her out and see what she does. If she heads back to the nest, she gets another three to five days in the cage. She'll be fine--really.

Thanky you, i just feel bad, I think she is eyeballing me everytime I walk into the coop, I will make sure her food dish and water is full and leave her till the end of the week.

Think of it this way--hens that are broody don't take care of themselves. They don't drink enough and they don't eat enough and they are not in very good condition when they've hatched their eggs. A broody hen with no eggs never gets that shift from sitting to caring for chicks (and herself) and so might sit a very long time, until she's pretty close to starvation. She's also stressing herself, which leaves her vulnerable to diseases. You are doing her a FAVOR by breaking her. Think of it like one of those horrid cones that keep dogs from eating their stitches. They might give you the puppy dog eyes, but you are doing the right thing by leaving the cone on--or the broody in the cage.

I think my wife is going to like that answer!! Thank you so much, from two animal lovers.

WAY off topic question, where do i submit a photo for photo of the week?

That one I can't help you with. I'd check the home page. Also, there is a forum section for contests, but I never visit that part of the site.

--Erika

She'll need to stay in her cage (don't let her out) for three to five days. Then let her out and see what she does. If she heads back to the nest, she gets another three to five days in the cage. She'll be fine--really.
would that go for ducks also?

Back
Top Bottom