Breaking their own eggs

vickig

Songster
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Texas
After reading here about the girls breaking their own eggs for protein I was thinking of adding in some Horse & Mule which will have 10% Protein.

I had heard of others doing this and wondered why..now it makes sense.

We have had coyotes very bad this past winter and spring and my girls have had to stay in the hen house. It does have enclosed outside run, there just hasn't been enough bugs for them.

Any thoughts on the Horse & Mule?

Thanks
Vicki

Layer feed already has more than 10% protein. Around here it comes 16%, 20% and 24%. I don't really think the 10% will make much of a difference except to dilute the protein they are already getting. If you feed a good chick starter/grower, move to a good layer with some added treats you don't have too much worry with eggs eaters. Alot of egg eating has nothing to do with lack of protein. It is a developed habit and a taste for the richness of the eggs. Many times it is contributed to human faults of not collecting eggs a couple times a day, leaving eggs in the nest trying to make a non-broody hen go broody and they get broken, etc.

I wouldn't routinely give too much of other feed formulated for other livestock due to the mineral balance. Once their mineral and electrolyte balance is off you'll have sick chickens.

If you want to give them a protein boost cook and feed back some their eggs with yogurt and cooked white rice as a nutritionally well balanced treat.

I do collect eggs at least twice a day, these girls are quick.

They are on Layena right now. They have been on Layena at least 6 months. They were on Hen Scratch before.

I understand Layena is all vegetable protein and they actually need " meat " protein.

Cooked egg, meat scraps from your kitchen are good for the hens. If they have an outside run they are finding bug and insects, lizards, mice, etc. If there isn't a problem don't treat it.

Back
Top Bottom