Breed & age?

heybarb

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
North Carolina
I got this fellow at the local Chicken Swap. Can you tell me what breed he is? I am also wondering how old he is. The guy I got him from said he as over a year old, but he seems pretty timid and I still haven't heard him crow, so I'm wondering if he's younger. Is there any way to tell?

The more I am around this fellow, the more I think he's really young. The older girls and my bantam rooster were pretty mean to him, so he's taken to hanging out with the bantam chicks and their mamas. The mamas are actually providing "protection" for him now, even though he's about 6 times their size. He hangs around the outskirts of the mama group and when one of the other chickens comes close to the babies (and this cockeral), the mamas scare them away. It's pretty funny to watch. I saw one of the chicks snuggle up under his wing on the roost last night. He was a little surprised, but the chick sure didn't mind that he was uncomfortable.
smile.png

It's been raining the past 2 days, so I haven't been able to get a picture of his spurs but my daughter swears that they are the same size as our bantam rooster's spurs who was born the beginning of March 2012.

Back
Top Bottom