1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and gender confirmation please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JanaMcG, May 6, 2016.

1. JanaMcG

JanaMcG New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Moulton, AL
    We have Gold, Peck, & Nugget who will be 6 weeks on Monday. Was told they were all pullets, but thinking one may be a roo. This is our first experience with raising backyard chickens. Guessing Gold is a Buff Orpington, Peck (black/white) is a Barred Rock, & I have no clue what Nugget (black & copper/brown) is. Nugget started out being all black & then just last week the coppery color feathering started showing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know these aren't great photos, but any help would be appreciated!

2. Fuzzyrules

Fuzzyrules Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Nugget might be an Americana, and at that age you can't really tell unless there is crowing or if a professional checks. Oh and Gold is definitely a buff Orpington and peck is a barred rock.

3. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    The black and white one is a Dominique. The brown and blonde one is a Golden Laced Wyandotte. Im not sure about the other one.

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't think its a Dominique, it has a straight comb not a cushion comb. AndI don't think the other one is a Wyandotte either, wrong comb type as well and it should have more lacing by now.

I would say you have a buff orp, barred rock, and a black sex link.

5. Fuzzyrules

May 4, 2016
    Not a black sex link. I had one and it looked nothing like that. Looks a lot more like an ameracauna I had.

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Easter Egger ameracaunas come in a million colours and I have had 3 sex links and they looked different, two looking like this one. Sex links are mixed breeds made for laying and so they're colours are Not Pure, this is almost a poster bird to the ones we sell at the feedstore.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Gold looks like a Buff Orpington, Peck looks like a Barred Rock (not a Dominique because it has a straight comb not a rosecomb), Nugget looks like a Black sex-link. They all look like pullets.
    @Fuzzyrules if your "ameraucana" looked like Nugget then it isn't a Ameraucana, because Ameraucanas NEED to have muffed cheeks and pea combs. Also I don't think they come in that color.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  8. Fuzzyrules

May 4, 2016
    They do come in that color. She grew up and got her muffs when was older.

9. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Where did you get her? She might be a EE

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2 what color egg does she lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by