breed and gender... please!

Marieti84

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
Southern Illinois
I have several chicks in my flock that are supposed to be pullet..but as we all know that isn't always the case.. Please help! Thanks!

Seally and Penny.. Light Brahma.. Sold as bantam cochins. Just found not the case.

Arucana/Americana is what these 3 were sold as:
chip

Arista

Nala

Cortana-silver laces wyandotte

I know this chick is a pullet.. But was told 4 times a different breed.. Anyone know for sure?

And these babes were sold as amber links.. But was told by a friend they are buff orpingtons.. Any guess?

I can post more pics if needed.. thanks again!

Last edited:
I have several chicks in my flock that are supposed to be pullet..but as we all know that isn't always the case.. Please help! Thanks!

Seally and Penny.. Light Brahma.. Sold as bantam cochins. Just found not the case. Yes these are 2 buff brahma girls!

Arucana/Americana is what these 3 were sold as: Definitely Ameraucana(If they don't have tails, then they would be araucanas
chip

Arista

Nala

Cortana-silver laces wyandotte A Girl and a Silver laced wyandotte too

I know this chick is a pullet.. But was told 4 times a different breed.. Anyone know for sure? To me it looks like a girl, But it could be a golden comet.

And these babes were sold as amber links.. But was told by a friend they are buff orpingtons.. Any guess? They look like Amber Links to me. But to tell if they are Buff Orpingtons, is to wait till they are feathered out.

I can post more pics if needed.. thanks again! Please post some more pics of your birds, when they have all their feathers. Thankyou
-BCP

Yes they all look like pullets!
Now just keep an eye out for bigger bodies, big feet, big thick legs, beautiful long saddle and hackle feathers(Saddle feathers- long back feathers near the tail) (Hackle feathers-long feathers on the neck) Red combs and wattles, And different tones in the voice. These are some helpful tips, if you suspect a rooster in the group. I have 55 chicks in a pen right now! And I can tell the roosters from the hens using these methods. Good Luck!

-BCP

I am most sure that your Brahmas are females because I have raised one before. They are Brahmas for sure I can see that they have their neck collar and their tails in the shape of a hump. I also currently right now have a 6-week old silver laced wyandotte who looks just like yours! I was told she was a girl so lets just both hope. but it looks like your raising some beautiful birds. Whatever breed they might be.

Now the light brahma's, Can mislead you. They are very tricky to tell if they are a boy or a girl. I bought 5(Supposed to be girls) Buff Brahma's. 1 is a rooster cause he is bigger and has a different tone to his voice then the 4 girls. But I am happy cause now I will get purebred Buff Brahma's! But he has barely any red on his face. He doesn't even have a comb!! Just some dark red spots on his face.

-BCP

Light Brahma bantams. they look female at this point, but how old are they?
Easter eggers, they look female.
silver laced Wyandotte pullet
red sex link pullet. Red sex links can be marketed under a ton of names--Red Star, Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, etc. But they're just different names for the same thing, a sex linked bird that's going to lay you a ton of large brown eggs.
The pics of the last chicks aren't great, but if they have white/pink skin they're probably Orpingtons. Amberlinks are white with yellow skin.

Light Brahma bantams. they look female at this point, but how old are they?
Easter eggers, they look female.
silver laced Wyandotte pullet
red sex link pullet. Red sex links can be marketed under a ton of names--Red Star, Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, etc. But they're just different names for the same thing, a sex linked bird that's going to lay you a ton of large brown eggs. 
The pics of the last chicks aren't great, but if they have white/pink skin they're probably Orpingtons. Amberlinks are white with yellow skin. 

definitely buffs then.. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom