Breed and or gendee

Great point, I missed the lack of muffs/beard 😳 Do you happen to know the differences between D'Uccles and Booted Bantams beside beard/muffs. I know most every hatchery just carries D'Uccles, but many birds come out without beards. I always kind of assumed that they were either not properly selecting breeding birds or mixing the two breeds. I typically just call the beardless ones Booted Bantams. I'll have to pull out the SOP to check if there's anything like weight differences between the two. I have been thinking about this for a while actually :)
You can read about the difference on this page: http://www.belgianduccle.org/belgian-duccles.html
The APA has the same standard for the two breeds, except for one has beard and muffs. A breeder here on BYC said the ABA has them as two distinctly different breeds, but I don't have an ABA SOP so I can't double check.
No hatcheries sell Booted bantams, only poor quality D'uccles.

You can read about the difference on this page: http://www.belgianduccle.org/belgian-duccles.html
The APA has the same standard for the two breeds, except for one has beard and muffs. A breeder here on BYC said the ABA has them as two distinctly different breeds, but I don't have an ABA SOP so I can't double check.
No hatcheries sell Booted bantams, only poor quality D'uccles.
Okay thanks! Is it necessarily incorrect to call the beardless/muffless ones Booted Bantams? I know they are listed as different breeds, but if the standards are the same, can't the differing trait just be used as the determining factor of each one? Isn't a D'Uccle without a beard just a Booted Bantam at some point?

Okay thanks! Is it necessarily incorrect to call the beardless/muffless ones Booted Bantams? I know they are listed as different breeds, but if the standards are the same, can't the differing trait just be used as the determining factor of each one? Isn't a D'Uccle without a beard just a Booted Bantam at some point?
I would say yes, it is incorrect to call a beardless D'uccle a booted bantam. I trust what the breed clubs have to say about their breed more than what the APA has to say about a certain breed, so since the breed club has them as distinctly separate breeds I don't think it would be correct to call a muffless D'uccle a booted bantam. And if the ABA standard really does have more differences than just beard and muffs, which SOP is correct? Just my thoughts, you are welcome to draw your own conclusions. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom