Breed Confusion

Sadness Child

Crowing
Jun 16, 2019
ABQ, New Mexico
I have a 36 week old pullet, I got her and another one from TSC as a Blue Jersey Giant, she is pretty giant and blue, so I thought she was a BJG. I hatched two of her eggs with a Buckeye father and the babies had a chipmunk pattern, which I was told would not come from a BJG. Any help would be appreciated.
Here she is.
DSC04515.JPG
DSC04516.JPG
DSC04642.JPG

I’m not the most educated in chicken genetics but I feel like the chipmunk pattern would have come from the Buckeye. Heres my BJG (Which I think your pullet is) they’re pretty young in these pictures. If you’d like updates pictures let me know.
40754891-68A3-4EC0-9A47-A1FAA7FCB5BC.jpeg
BB82EAB6-799E-4DEB-BB19-92D413AF0541.jpeg
2B511C70-8EB6-493E-B375-A25AA5483C19.jpeg
254E410B-0C70-43F2-8B93-5F15BD4AF34B.jpeg

I have a 36 week old pullet, I got her and another one from TSC as a Blue Jersey Giant, she is pretty giant and blue, so I thought she was a BJG. I hatched two of her eggs with a Buckeye father and the babies had a chipmunk pattern, which I was told would not come from a BJG. Any help would be appreciated.
Here she is.View attachment 2354034View attachment 2354035View attachment 2354028
Nice hen any way but sorry I can't succesfully decide or tell the breed

A JG should have bright red earlobes, and yours do not look completely red, from what I can see, so mightindicate some crossing. The comb is falling over, also not a trait of JG. The tail should be wide and spreading on a JG, not narrow and trim, like yours.

we have Black JG, that are exhibition quality, but we have never had Blue. The most JG part of yours is the overall shape and flat back, so at first glance, it does look a lot like a JG. I’m not sure what the blue genetics would do, but I would be surprised with chipmunk chicks.

An attractive bird, irregardless of breed.

A JG should have bright red earlobes, and yours do not look completely red, from what I can see, so mightindicate some crossing. The comb is falling over, also not a trait of JG. The tail should be wide and spreading on a JG, not narrow and trim, like yours.

we have Black JG, that are exhibition quality, but we have never had Blue. The most JG part of yours is the overall shape and flat back, so at first glance, it does look a lot like a JG. I’m not sure what the blue genetics would do, but I would be surprised with chipmunk chicks.

An attractive bird, irregardless of breed.
Ok this is interesting to know, most of the time she has her tail spread out most of the time, and she lays large brown eggs. I do beleive she might be a cross, but I do not know what to call har a cross of. (I like to be very accurate with my breeds and know exactly what breeds my chickens are, I also want to sell her chicks and I do not want to tell people she is a pure breed Jersey Giant when she is not.)

Ok this is interesting to know, most of the time she has her tail spread out most of the time, and she lays large brown eggs. I do beleive she might be a cross, but I do not know what to call har a cross of. (I like to be very accurate with my breeds and know exactly what breeds my chickens are, I also want to sell her chicks and I do not want to tell people she is a pure breed Jersey Giant when she is not.)

APA book lists Blue JG as a recognized breed, so you could look there for guidance. My copy indicates a blue JG should have the yellow feet bottoms, typical of all JG. Also, comb should be upright. Female APA description "Tail: moderately long, well-spread, carried at an angle of 30 degrees above horizontal, main tail-- broad and overlapping".

Here are our first pair of BJG at approx 4.5 months. Male is on left, and female on right.

I don't have many pics of the female as she aged. She was quite the introvert...not low in pecking order and great at defending herself, but more of a loner and was disinterested in much socialization, so therefore, not too many pics of her.
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 9.49.04 AM.png

Here is the male at around 14 months old - note size (compared to same age SLW hen behind him). Flat back.
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 11.15.55 AM.png

Same day, different angle - wide and spreading tail. Females tails are not quite as large, but still wide and spreading on a lower angle than the male. But the Frost White Legbar female to his right has a more upright and compact (not spreading) tail.
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 11.16.12 AM.png

Yeah mine are not the same breed, here is a male I got from the same bin as her, and they were both called Jersey Giant. This is my male at 30 weeks old, he is no longer with me as he was mean.
Freddy2.JPG
Freddy.jpg
DSC04224.JPG

Back
Top Bottom