1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed ID. Help !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Joy215, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Joy215

Joy215 New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    Marengo ohio
    I purchase these chickens at royal king The tag said they were Brahma [​IMG]

2. Joy215

Joy215 New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    Marengo ohio
    But they don't look like any of the pictures I've seen of the Brahmas

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

They look like Black Australorps to me. I hope you like them, BA's are good layers and known to have nice dispositions.

Thanks for joining us!

4. Joy215

Joy215 New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    Marengo ohio
    Oh thank you so much I've been trying to match them up with other pictures but there's so many of them looks alike I just purchased them two and a half months ago as baby chicks they have gotten large really quick but they just don't look like bramas

5. Briktorian

Briktorian New Egg

Sep 6, 2015
    yeah, i dont think they are Brahmas [​IMG]

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If the bottoms of the feet are white/grey/pink they are Australorps. If they are yellow, they are Jersey Giants.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bad news, they aren't Brahmas. Good news, at this age, only one looks like a cockerel

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Joy215

Joy215 New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    Marengo ohio
    Thanks June I will check that and I thought one looked diffrent I wish RK would have them. Labled right it's been a guessing. Game. I just wanted hens for the eggs

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your entire flock all look like Black Australorps and all of them look like pullets but one (the central one with the big red comb and wattles is a cockerel). Besides having all those pullets, another bit of good news is that you will get more eggs from the Australorps, which are excellent layers, than you would have gotten from the Brahmas (which are good layers, but not Australorp level). :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Aussies.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by