Breed ID needed on 2 chicks!

ChickyChickyBaby

Barefoot Bantams
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Upstate South Carolina
Can anyone ID these birds? I do not think they are what lady at the feed store told me. Both are large fowl & both are sexed as pullets. The lady that was working when I got them, really did not know one bird from another.
These are not easter eggers, they did not have any of those ordered or shipped to them at that time or before then.
These are not silver laced wyandottes (which the lady thought could be one of the two breeds she had confused)

Any ideas?

Pics of #1
68288_img_0018.jpg

68288_img_0020.jpg

68288_img_0019.jpg

Mostly black & white. Not sure if the feathers are just dirty (she was taking dust bath) or if it is gold.

Pics of #2
68288_img_0022.jpg

68288_img_0023.jpg

still getting feathers in
smile.png

68288_img_0024.jpg

Mostly black & white with some red too.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say they are both Easter Egger cockerels. Neither look like pullets to me. Sorry.
sad.png

They often give the wrong information when selling chicks. I had called the farm store to ask is the Mille Fleur they had was the D'Uccle with feathered feet. They straight out said no to both questions. I went there anyway and she gave me complete wrong information. When I picked out my frizzle, they had no clue what color it was either. As far as sexed pullets, it's only a 80-90% chance they are pullets. There are many mistakes and a lot of people are not sure of the sex until it crows or lays an egg. It's very hard to sex chicks at a young age. All bantams can not be sexed due to their size either. I personally think it's really a good idea to study and read about the breeds before picking them out. Good luck with your chicks. They are very nice looking.
smile.png

Oh, and hatcheries makes mistakes all the time and send the wrong chicks.

Last edited:
Sorry, those are very obviously Easter Egger (Ameraucauna) roosters. Definitely.
sad.png
I have 2 that look very similar myself. At least mine came from the Easter Egger (labeled Ameraucana) straight run bin, so I was not surprised by mine.
sad.png

I think they are ugly.
hide.gif

I went back 2 weeks later, and got easter eggers there. All from same hatchery all were sexed pullets. That is only thing this feed store orders.The males sent as packing peanuts were marked at hatchery & separated into a bin at the feed store instead of in the brooder. ( Neither of these two looked like those 7 ( 2 now because of a dog) - both of my surviving EE girls were little chipmunk striped babies. These were almost solid black.

These were in a shipment with a ton of others that looked like these did as chicks - that shipments labels were for Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Black Australorps, Gold Laced Wyandottes .....I was there the first 3 weeks for shipments to see what they had. First and second week were what they got in. Third week was more wyandottes, easter eggers, ducks, and jersey giants..

I never would have thought EEs at all.

Quote:
I did get lucky at this feed store. I know of 3 feed stores that actually have the employees that do the ordering available to talk to and show you the chicks. Unfortunately, the girl was off the day these came in & I went up there. At one feed store, they will actually get the book out and let you compare and look at each one
smile.png

Once the gal left that did the ordering and that I talked to left this store, I quit going. I prefer one of the other two
hide.gif

I was wanting speckled sussex. That is not these
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom