Breed intelligence

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karibare, Nov 23, 2013.

1. karibare

karibare Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok I have been reading lately that people think Silkies seem to be lacking in intelligence. We just got one a couple days ago and have to agree. We have already had to rescue her from under our coop because she wandered there and didn't seem to know how to get out. We live in Alaska so it wasn't warm enough to let her hang out. Anyone else experience this?

2. ninjagirl

ninjagirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it's more the gentle/sweet nature of the breed and the beards and crests seem to make it a bit harder to see.

3. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Well I guess it all depends on the bird.I saw this one video of a guy who trained his Silkie to eat on command and to chirp if she wanted a treat.

4. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    We have one silkie with 15 other chickens, most LF. She holds her own and knows which ones to stay away from (peckers). No one picks on her but there is a pecking order at the feeder and she knows to come back when the BO is done...unless of her buddies sticks up for her.

They all free range and she manages to roll with the flock. She gets in on treats and always goes to the same spot in the coop...she sleeps in a covered tub on the floor...and actually as it got cold one of the brahmas left the roost to sleep with her.

They are more limited because of their fuzzy faces blocking their vision and inability to fly. I was shocked today to see she had somehow got on top of the picnic bench with the other chickens...I've never seen her get much air.

Ours is a sweetie and did grow up with these guys since days old so she may be more used to regular flock stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by