Breed Interactions

Briyon

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Richmond, VT
I am a "newbie" and have 5 Buff Orpingtons and 5 Araucanas coming on June 26th from a local farm supply store (5 was the min order for any breed). I was just wondering if these two breeds get along? After reading some posts I realized there may be issues with mixing breeds. I also have 5 "meat" chickens coming on the same date. I will keep these birds in a separate pen because I know they will be much bigger than the layers.

I have been working on my coop and run and it should be ready by the time the chicks arrive (although I will have them in a brooder box in my basement initially). It is a 6' x 6' coop with a 6'x 16' run. The birds will be locked in the coop at night. I understand that you need ~4sqft/bird min. I was thinking that I might have to take one or two of the Buff Orpingtons as meat birds so I only have 8 to 9 birds in the coop. I read that Buffs are good layers or good for meat. I don't think Arauconas are. Will reducing the number of Buff Orps be an issue? The Aracanas would outnumber the more docile Buffs.

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, you can mix the different breeds. Although, I would keep the meat chickens separate, as you are doing. I have many different laying breeds all mixed together. I've got Buff Orpington, Easter Eggers, Isa Browns, Australorp, Wyandotte, and a Barred Rock all together. They get along just fine! Yep, it is recommended for 4 sq ft per bird for indoor space and 10 sq ft a bird for outdoor run space. Good luck with your chicks!

I think they be fine too. I lovr orpington's.. They have nice personalities, and like mentioned above, they'll lay all winter!
frow.gif

I think they will be fine. Mine are 3 weeks old, and I have Buff Orps, EE's and Dominiques. The Buffs try to rule the roost, but are actually the least friendly in the bunch. They all get along rather well, except when they are trying to peck each others eye out, LOL

Back
Top Bottom