Breed Narrowing

BarredCometLaced

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Northern NH
I want to get these Breeds down to 4 of them. What breeds do you guys prefer and which are good broodies, mothers, and cold hardy?

The Breeds:

Salmon Favorelles- Tinted Eggs... and I like their cheek puffs

Barred Rock- Brown Eggs

White Rock- Meat

Golden Spangled Hamburgs- White Eggs

Easter Eggers- Green Eggs

Welsummers- Dark Brown Eggs

THANKS!
cool.png

Quote:
Well, two of my four of my last batch went broody within a few months of laying and after breaking up one nest, couldn't find the other so she hatched those, the other one found a better spot to hide her eggs and she hatched those in DEC! Right now I have an EE who has been laying for a month and has gone broody. I take her off the nest at least three times a day! Guess it depends on their breeding but the first two were hatchery eggs and this one is one I hatched from one of the first four.

Last edited:
White & Barred Rocks will give both meat and eggs... They are one breed, just different varieties -- they'll do the same thing (if you get them form the right places).
Good luck,
Mitch

Pick whichever rock color apeals to you most, they are the same breed just different color.

Get welsummers AND ee's. They will give you 2 diff colors of eggs.

Pick either the favorelles or the hamburgs. I *think* favorelles lay bigger eggs then hamburgs but I could be wrong. Both of these lay similar color eggs, just pick your favourite appearence/temperament wise.

Quote:
You didn't mention the housing conditions. You maybe better off with birds of similar temperaments; Salmon F are noted for being very gentle bottom of the pecking order; if golden spangled hamburgs are like my silver spangled hamburg, they are quick, flighty and avoid me at all costs and dominates all my roosters. He's NEVER attacked us though. WE love him.

EE vary depending on the stock, but mine fit into the flock very easily. Rocks may need some help because of the big comb on the coldest nights. Production rocks, from most hatcheries are less likely to become broody. Some people use a silky for a broody and keep the other hens laying.

Have you thought of Buckeyes; great allround bird, nice temepraments, meatier than most dual purpose types , about 3-4 med eggs per week, go broody sometimes and very cold hardy. Didn't know if you had considered these. This is the breed I'm planning to breed.

What i am planning for housing is that the meat breed cockerals would be separate (so that i don't become attached), and the pullets would be in a coop and run.

All other egg laying breeds would be in breed specific runs and coops. There would be one breed that would be free range.

At least that is what i am planning
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom