Breed of quail?

Demintion

Chirping
May 11, 2020
So, went down to my local feed store to pick up feed for our flock of birds. And I venture off into the back to see what they have in their chick section. Low and behold, I find cute little balls of feathers and just had to have some. (Much to the husband's displeasure,) I gathered a good many so I could get a decent ratio of male and females. They had these little guys only labeled as quail. No idea which breed these little guys even are. The closest I could find were coturnix, but I figured I may ask if anyone else may have an idea. If they are, I've counted 10 females due to breast color. Along with 16 males. Which unfortunately means a cull is soon to come for a good many if they are males. I've already heard five of the ones I labeled males, crow. So I'm for sure on them, I'm just really wanting to make sure I know what kind of quails I've got. And if anyone has any advice on processing, like what age is it best to begin, and things like that, I would really appreciate it!
20210423_144137.jpg
20210423_144135.jpg
20210423_144144.jpg
20210423_144141.jpg
20210423_144152.jpg

You will probably want to eliminate the extra males soon, especially if they start trying to breed with the females or fight with each other. I would keep just 2 males for 10 hens.
They haven't started just yet. I believe the bigger ones are about 5 weeks old while the smaller are around 4 maybe 3 weeks old. And I read somewhere to cull at around 6-8 weeks. But I will keep that in mind and keep a look out for any breeding and fighting!

They haven't started just yet. I believe the bigger ones are about 5 weeks old while the smaller are around 4 maybe 3 weeks old. And I read somewhere to cull at around 6-8 weeks. But I will keep that in mind and keep a look out for any breeding and fighting!
6-8 weeks sounds like a good age. Good luck with your quail! They are very cute!

Back
Top Bottom