Breed of rooster.....HUGE, strange comb??

Thank you all SO much, and SkyWarrior, thank you for the link to that website!
I'm not convinced he is a Red Cap, and have a little info about the breed to go on!
I'd never heard of a Red Cap, until I had posted his pics here, and the breed was mentioned!
I thought he was an odd mixture of breeds, a mutt! lol
Thanks to ALL who have posted, I appreciate it very much!!
ya.gif

I'd think that Redcaps are very rare & the chances of you landing up with one, minimal. He is probably a rose comb Rhode Island Red gone a bit wrong. Combs sometimes do weird things especially if breeders aren't very careful about not continuing bad combed lines.

ETA: here's a link with a rose comb half way down the page: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Reds/BRKRIR.html
His
coloring is far more appropriate for a RIR than a Redcap.

Last edited:
Wow, for some reason Donald Trump popped into my head!

Wonder why they call them Redcaps, I mean... only redcap I'd heard of before finding BYC was a changeling... and not exactly a friendly sort... seeing how the caps are only red because they've been dyed with their victims' blood... so YEAH... wouldn't that kinda be like naming a bull (that you hope will be sweet) Diablo?

He was given to me, by a couple from Kentucky, along with 18 hens, and another rooster.
They were moving long distance, and couldn't take them.

Quote:
NP! Just out of curiosity, where did you get him?
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I have no idea really! lol I mean, honestly, it's not important to me what his breed is.
But, I am curious, nonetheless! lol
Thanks for the link......i'm really not sure, now!
hmm.png

Quote:

I wonder if he might be a cross between a single-comb bird (maybe RIR) and a rosecomb bird (maybe Wyandotte?) and the comb is a combination of both types? I am a newbie so I don't know if this is possible. I have a Wyandotte cross rooster, and his comb is bigger and more spread out than the pictures I've seen of pure Wyandottes rooster combs. I think he might be crossed with BR, cuz he was barred as a youngster, but now he's black with orange/red patches like GLW roosters.

Anyway, your guy is a cool looking dude!

smile.png
Melissa

Back
Top Bottom