Breed of Rooster?

dvrich89

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2016
Any idea what kind of chicken this guy is?

Welcome!

He's a mixed breed.

He's not a red sex link per se. that's a one time cross, where the males are silver and the females are gold. This guy's coloring is typical of what one gets when sex links are bred to each other for a second (or more) generation. The red and white mix together and you lose the sex link factor, but get some pretty birds that still have genetics to lay well.

Can someone please tell me what a red sex link is? I've had a couple people tell me that's what he was now but unsure of what that means? Like what kind of crossing?

A red sexlink is a cross between different colored parents (usually different breeds) for the purposes of easy, reliable sexing at hatching. The resulting chicks can be sexed by down color. The color is linked to sex, hence the term sexlink.
They do not breed true, and the sexlinking only works for the first generation crosses. Subsequent generations are just mixes.

Sure.

Chicken have two base colors, red/gold and silver.

When you breed a red rooster to a silver hen, the offspring are sex linked. That means the sex is linked to the color of the bird. Males are silver, females are gold.

When they mature, females are colored like your rooster, red with the white collar and tail. Males are white, with red leakage on the wings.

Most hatcheries don't use specific breeds for this cross is my understanding. The base breeds were probably Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires for the males and white Rocks for the females, but as time has gone by they've evolved their different strains to make this one time cross.

Commercial sex links are sold under several different names---ISA browns, Red stars, cinnamon queens, gold comets, etc. Different parent breeds, but all bred for ultra-high egg production and the ability to be sexed at hatch by the color of the chick.

The genes that link the color to the sex are a one time deal, though. That's why they're not a "breed", they don't breed true. When you breed them, you get mixed color birds like your guy. He's red, but clearly male, so he's not technically a sex link cause his sex isn't linked to his color.

Here's a great link to some basic genetics if you're interested. Don't be intimidated by the massive page count, all the basics are on that first post.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

So he would be the offspring (son or grandson) of a red sex link or would it be some other kind of sex link? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Last edited:
Ok thank you all so much! Love this guy. My 3 year old carries him around and rocks him like a baby. He also enjoys fourwheeler rides with us. He's about 4 months old so I'm hoping he stays nice!! However my dad came over and said our rooster attacked his leg while he was outside with my 3 year old
1f62c.png

Back
Top Bottom