Breed of this pullet please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Samjoe, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Samjoe

Samjoe Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I got this sweet girl from the Black sex link bin at tractor supply. She was similar to the other BSLs as a chick. But now I wonder if she's a Easter Egger?Any thoughts? She's 14 weeks old.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    A photo including the head would help. If a pea comb and blue on legs then it's an Easter Egger which are mixed breed that have blue egg gene.

3. Samjoe

May 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. Samjoe

May 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Wow, no idea what that is. Single comb gold laced something or other. Someone will post an idea soon. What pops to my mind without looking up specifics is Campine? It's just an area of chicken that's not familiar to me. Can't help.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Looks like a mixed breed to me.

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    She's a black sex link. I've seen several over the years light colored like this. Not very common but not impossible.

8. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yup. Just a black sex-link. These are a first generation hybrid produced by covering a barred or cuckoo colored hen with a solid rooster that carried no dominant white, usually a red bird is used. In this combination, because the offspring only inherit the barred gene from the mother, only the male offspring will appear barred, while the female offspring are dominant black. (see the sex link thread for more details). Anyhow, hatcheries make their own proprietary sex-links using different breeds of birds. Usually the female is a barred plymouth rock, and the male is red, but New Hamp, RIR, and production birds are all common. Needless to say, there can be quite a bit of variety in the offspring, depending on which combination of genes are used. The only guarantee is that you will be 100% sure that they are females in the bin at the feed store because males are barred.
    I like to use this same formula to make sex-linked olive eggers using a blue copper marans roo over my cream legbar hens. Works the same way.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

10. Samjoe

May 12, 2014
    Thanks y'all. I would be fine either way. She's a welcome addition to my flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by