Breed possibilities, PIC ADDED

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Is there a particular breed of chicken(not polish), possibly some sort of game that is brownish with a white head and neck(bald eagle ish). My mom has caught two in her live trap, both this color. Appear very wild, possibly feral as their are no chickens remotely close to her.

Will try to upload pics but thought I'd check to see if this particular color rings a bell as my usb port is tempermental and it sometimes won't allow me to upload pics.
Thanks

Chickens may weigh 3-4lbs..maybe less I'm poor at weight guesstimations but they are smaller than my barred rocks but a bit bigger than my sumatra hen.

I tried to get her/him to move to get other pic angles but she tried to bite me when I reached my hand in thecage.

Last edited:
Here is a pic, I think its a hen any ideas on breed. I guessed hen as the roo we caught is in the background, much more pronounced wattles and comb, but we have no idea on age.
27498_100_1225.jpg

27498_100_1223.jpg

Last edited:
color is called 'silver duckwing'.

probably oeg or phoneix. both females. the other could simply be older or mother of this one which appears very young, just few months old.

Not Old english game, unless they're not in the US.. Neither are the Phoenix. They're American games, or possibly a cross. Usually what breed it is when people talk of feral chickens. In American games, she is simply a "grey". But the correct color is yes, silver duckwing.

Thanks guys, whatever she is I hope she calms down, she is a nasty bird. I suspect once their quarantine is over and I can introduce them to the rest of the floch they'll be nicer....maybe not friendly but when not cornered I suspect they won't bite. Hopefully they lay weel, what color egg should I expect?

Quote:
Spring-fall, medium white egg. About 5-6 eggs a week, possibly seven. She should calm down more as she gets used to you, one bad thing about wild birds.

-Daniel

MMMMM I dont think American game hens are that great egg layers, from what I've read they lay more like every other day, I have a hen just like yours but mine is not fully grown yet, but she looks just like yours.

Quote:
Spring-fall, medium white egg. About 5-6 eggs a week, possibly seven. She should calm down more as she gets used to you, one bad thing about wild birds.

-Daniel

MMMMM I dont think American game hens are that great egg layers, from what I've read they lay more like every other day, I have a hen just like yours but mine is not fully grown yet, but she looks just like yours.

I was just basing the information off of what I've experienced growing up around them. It is true, that some lines lay every other day. But most I have been around, unless old. Lay around 5-6 a week, sometimes seven if conditions work out. I have a buddy who raises Peruvians and Americans, seems like his birds will even lay into the fall or winter, he claims it's because he feeds 'em the "Good laying pellets". But it never worked for anyone else I know of lol...

-Daniel

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom