Breed puzzle - help figure out my little roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FoxholeFarm, Sep 23, 2014.

1. FoxholeFarm

FoxholeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    I did a hatch from a mixed flock. She came out of a blue egg, so mom was almost certainly an ameraucana, and for the past couple weeks I have just assumed that dad was a RIR because of the bare yellow legs and mixed red plumage. However, as his feathers grow in, he has developed white mottling on his primaries which has be thinking there's a chance dad could have been the mille fleur roo instead who was also very red. Are feathered legs ever NOT passed on?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Did you breed this yourself? If so what breeds do you have?

3. FoxholeFarm

Aug 7, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    I did. The egg was blue and my only blue layers are ameraucanas and EE, and the two Roos in the yard were RIR and mille Fleur Duccle bantams.

4. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    I am thinking that mom was an EE because your little roo has a single comb. Since single combs are recessive, mom must've been carrying that gene too. I think if the duccle was the father, this little guy would have at least some leg feathering. Most of my crosses with a feather legged parent have had some feathers on the legs. I have also had lots of chickens that had white spotting in the feathers at that age but they grow out to be solid colored. He's a cute little guy. He reminds me of one I have that is about 10 weeks old now. He's a rather goofy mix of orpington, easter egger, and game. Just a couple weeks ago, he looked like he was orange with black and white spots. Now he's just a dark buff.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. FoxholeFarm

Aug 7, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    Interesting. This was my first hatch so I'm still pretty full of self doubt as well as a healthy dose of wide-eyed wonder. Sounds like my first instinct about this little fella was correct!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by