Breed question!

Agreed on the Brahma. Not sure on the lavender. What gives it away as oeg at this point out of curiosity?

When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras. Lav/Self Blue pattern and clean legged from a hatchery assortment at a feed store. Old English Game bantam would be the most likely.

When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras. Lav/Self Blue pattern and clean legged from a hatchery assortment at a feed store. Old English Game bantam would be the most likely.
I didn't think zebra, I just didn't have enough to go on to say they were hoofbeats in the first place lol. Just asking for tips on how you discern. I'm not familiar enough with game birds to spot them until their adult shapes and looks come into play

Yay! So I may have gotten 1 correct...is is possible to have a bantam Brahma? Like I said in the post, I work for tsc, an I’m the one that unboxed the chicks, they were hatchery labeled as bantams

Yes there are bantam Brahmas. They are very common, especially Lights and Buffs. Almost every hatchery breeds them.

I didn't think zebra, I just didn't have enough to go on to say they were hoofbeats in the first place lol. Just asking for tips on how you discern. I'm not familiar enough with game birds to spot them until their adult shapes and looks come into play

When dealing with hatchery/feed store chicks I try not to over think it. First I tell myself that these are hatchery bantams. So they are most likely to be very common breeds and varieties. Then I look at the traits.

Clean legs narrow it down to Old English, Sebright, Rosecomb, Japs, and maybe Dutch as these are the most common clean legged hatchery bantam breeds.

Single comb narrows it down to Old English, Dutch, and Japs.

Slate legs narrow it down to Old English and Dutch.

Then I look at the color/pattern. This chick is Self Blue. And where as Self Blue Old English are very common and Self Blue Dutch would be quite rare.

I personally think its a Self Blue Old English Game bantam. That's not to say I couldn't be wrong. But thats the most likely determination at this point.

Back
Top Bottom