breed recommendations?

I have heard Cochins aren't great layers, but mine are. I get anywhere from 4 up to 6 eggs/hen/week. They are by far, my most friendly chickens. For friendly, our Australorps, RIRs and Marans are also nice.

Steer clear of Andalusians and Leghorns.

Quote:
LOL Yeah, I have a black leghorn hen - reasonable egg laying, but boy does she have a nasty attitude!
If she weren't my rooster's favorite hen, I'd get rid of her.

Peace -
Meri

Last edited by a moderator:
Barred Rocks, Black Australorp and Light Brahmas are also excellent choices just from experience .
smile.png

I second the speckled sussex suggestion!
cool.png

Not only are they friendly, hardy, and great forages willing to eat pretty much anything you put in front of them, they lay longer than many breeds.

Sex-linked (red and black stars) layers and leghorns will lay eggs like gang busters (which is why they're popular production breeds) for a year and a half and then will start to taper off. Speckled Sussex, however, will continue laying steady for years and years. In fact, my neighbor had a six year old that was still laying! This is nice for a family flock as you probably don't want to have to continually plan to cycle your chickens out each year.

They're super friendly and are spectacular colors, too.

They're also diligent setters and good mom's, rivaling Silkies imo. I found they would lay right through winter.

The cockerels are great for the stew pot, too. Not nearly as scrawny as leghorns.

silkies are extremely nice and they lay well but their eggs are SOOO small.

I would say my orp because they can be so affectionate but mine will wail and pase and cry as LOUD as she can until we let her free range.

My rocks are my best layers and nice. and wyandottes are up their but their wings are really strong and they aren't to easy to hold.

Faverolles and brahmas are really nice. Brahmas are from the begining but a faverolle can be a reall brat and won't let you hold her. But I socialized her and now she is a reall sweety.

I would recomend 3 or more. Chickens are addictive I love them.

1. Faverolle (I love their little beard and short legs)

2. Brahma (so sweet but one of mine died 2 weeks ago because of a weird illness)

3. White or black silkie (the others don't develop as correctly making a prettier look)

Faverolles..........they are the best...not really sure why but there is something outside of just us humans for loving them:p

Back
Top Bottom