1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed selection and free-range coop design.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Citron_d'uccle, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Citron_d'uccle

Citron_d'uccle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I plan to start a flock of free-range egg layers as well as some free-range broilers. I have some questions as to the breeds I have chosen and some coop design ideas to run by the more seasoned BYCers.

I have chosen the following breeds for egg production.

Barnevelders
    French Marans
    Welsummers
    New Hampshire Reds
    Rhode Island Reds
    Wyandottes
    Delawares
    Ameraucanas
    Araucanas

BROILERS

California Blue Foot
    Poulet de Gaulouse
    Cobb

I plan to use some spare greenhouse frames for free-range coops. They are 10' X 12' and I plan to make them 7' in the center. I will cover the bottom and 2' up the walls with 1/4" hardware cloth. I will cover the sides and top from one side to the other with poultry wire for 4' along the length of the coop. The remaining 8' will be covered with black mesh material. I also plan on 20 18" X 18" X 18" nests.
    (1 rows of 10 nests along the sides lenthwise). The coop for breeding will not have a nest but will have roost perches.

IDEAS?

2. Citron_d'uccle

Citron_d'uccle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    My plan is to let the turkeys and chickens free-range in a movable coop like this one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by