Breed to Start With

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Stuart77047, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Stuart77047

Stuart77047 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    I have searched through the breed selector and the internet and have noticed there is a lot of conflicting information. I am looking an egg laying chicken that is quiet and will do well in a coop. I think I have narrowed down my selections to Easter Egg, Rhode Island Red or Wyandotte.

I plan on having 6 chickens to start. I like the idea of the Easter Egg chickens but these seem to have the most conflicting information on the internet of any breed. This makes me nervous. Does anyone here have much experience with Easter Egg Chickens? If not, then does anyone know which would be a better choice for egg production, the Rhode Island Red or the Wyandotte? Where I live cold is just not an issue. Heat in the summer is a big issue. So the chickens have to be able to handle the heat. Sorry if this question has been answered numerous times. I am very new to the forum and searching for the answer was getting me nowhere.

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I would start with EE - and I think the RIR or a NHR would be good, too. I love my EEs and NHR. My first group of chickens included 4 EEs, 1 NHR, an ancona and a Jersey Giant. I wanted white, green/blue and brown eggs. It's a great little group. Since EEs aren't an official breed, their coloring - along with their egg colors - vary greatly. However, in my experience, my four EEs are great birds - great egg layers and good personalities. Good luck!

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

My EEs handled the heat very well. Naked necks are another quiet, gentle, good layer, big, brown eggs and they really handle the heat.
    Production reds would be another good option, although I don't find mine all that friendly. Ive heard Black Australorps do well and are friendly, they are very popular here in AZ.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Stuart, EE is not actually a breed, and there is a huge range of behaviors from these birds. I have had some that were some of the friendliest chickens I have had, and others that were crazy wild. They are good egg layers. Rhode Island Reds are not the best choice if you have a limited amount of space, as they are very active and need room to spread out or they may pick on other birds. Welsummers are really nice and quiet, and lay a gorgeous egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by