breeders...culls what do you do with yours?

Quote:
So very true..

Chris

Unless your selling them for food,people up here buy huge cages full of roos and we know they are not using them for breeding....And some people just want some hens for eggs...

With my faverolles I do physically cull or kill the chicks that hatch with toe problems or very poor toe placement or without beards these can be identified right after hatching. After that I will sell of my older chicks as PQ layers or meat birds.

Henry

Quote:
So very true..

Chris

What about those people who just want some backyard pets, and dont care about breeding etc? I sell off any birds with DQ's or birds im not using in my breeding pen specifically as Pet Quality and list their faults.

Girls are raised and sold as layers or pets. I try to find homes for the boys, but in the end the boys are sold as meat birds if I raise them long enough or processed here at 8 weeks old. Not alot of meat, but they make great stock. This includes bantam boys. Several fit in a large crock pot.

Matt

Last edited:
Quote:
So very true..

Chris

Agree and disagree. On the disagree part, there are plenty people who just want a pet hen, a meat rooster, or something for one of their own mutt projects. For example, my cull Ameraucanas are going to a neighbor who only has Barred Rocks and Production Reds. She's very excited to think that she will have a rooster who can create green egg laying chickens for her.

It is the same on my side - If someone has a rooster that doesn't cut it for them, perhaps I want to use him for an Olive Egger project. . . I'm still breeding a cull rooster, yes, but not for any serious reasons.
wink.png

We always sell our culls most roosters I know people eat and alot of people just want some kind of hen to lay eggs. If they are sold from the house I always try and find out what people want them for and tell them they are good for pets, layers etc. Most of my culls just dont have enough foot feathering but that doesnt mean they dont have babies that dont. I sell all sometimes unless there is one that is just awsome but it pays for the feed, in my never ending hobby. jeff

OK,
I'm sorry if that came out sounding bad Ill explain it better..
pdsavage, SundownWaterfowl and Illia.

All our culls are used as a source of food for our family..

As for if someone that would like egg layers or a pet then I have plenty of birds they can pick from, they may a cross, or they could even pure..

Chris

Quote:
here's the thing, when those people decide to breed (like most do because they want to see their hens hatch their own eggs, etc, etc, you know how it goes..), most of them (your backyarders..) will not be able to cull their extra roos.... the next thing they're going to do is try to find them a home... when this fail, then naming an established breeder as the source of their chickens will come up as a very good selling point... and when the chicks sold doesn't grow up as expected, guess who's name the buyers will remember...

Back
Top Bottom