Breeding a super broody hen

jay873

Songster
5 Years
Jul 28, 2016
Say I wanted to get a large very broody chicken that matures quickly (within 7 months) what crosses could I make to achieve this? I do have some silkies but they are so small, I don't care about looks but I'd prefer clean legs. I've heard you can breed silkies to be bigger but idk.

I would start with breeds that are known for their broodiness and get a good sample of each breed that interests you. Sometimes hens like to be broodies and some aren't interested in the least even within the same breed. You'd need to wait and see which birds seem most inclined to go broody and breed only from them, assessing their offspring as they mature and breeding from the broodiest offspring.

A lighter breed might be better than a heavier breed as heavy breeds can be clumsy and occasionally squash chicks. Game type birds such as Old English Games (standard ones for a larger bird) should make excellent mothers. Avoid Mediterranean breeds as the majority have had broodiness bred out of them.

I would test out the broodies before breeding from them as well as some only want to sit - they have no interest in actually looking after fuzzy little chicks. I discovered this with one of our Orpingtons. When I finally tried to offer her some chicks after she'd been sitting for around 3 weeks she seemed genuinely horrified, pecked at them, turned her back on me and them, and the next day was back out with the flock. :lol:

By selecting for the traits that you want you'll eventually produce exactly what you need.

Say I wanted to get a large very broody chicken that matures quickly (within 7 months) what crosses could I make to achieve this? I do have some silkies but they are so small, I don't care about looks but I'd prefer clean legs. I've heard you can breed silkies to be bigger but idk.

How about aseels? They are super broody, excellent mothers, clean legs, broad chest, they are heavy. They don't look big because of their tight feathers, but in reality they are heavy. They were used in developing Cornish cross, Wyandotte and Cornish themselves.

I have a big Barred Rock hen that will not fricken STOP with the brooding. Actually most all of my Barred tend strongly towards broodiness, but they aren't from hatchery lines. Come get her :lol:

Back
Top Bottom