Breeding age and egg fertility question

alaska-chick72

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
interior Alaska
So My female ancona has been laying eggs for a few weeks now and none of the eggs have had a bullseye in the yolk. There are 2 male anconas with her. (this will change as soon as I can locate a few more females) Im curious as to when Ill start seeing fertile eggs. Its dark here in Alaska and to keep the temp up when its cold I have a heat lamp in the coop (not red) and when the temps are above zero I have a regular light on. The regular light keeps it right around 33 if its at zero outside and the heat lamp will keep it around 40 F when its 25 to 30 below. They have a lit area 24-7 and can go to the back of the coop to sleep in the darker area of the coop. I have seen the one larger male mount the female this fall a few times and started to lay eggs about 3 weeks ago. Im still searching for a fertile one.

How long do you suppose untill Ill start seeing fertile eggs? Theyre not really hand friendly so its not like I can sit in the coop with them and watch their daily activities to see if theyre actually breeding or not. You would think with two males in there with her she would be popping out bullseyes left and right.

Anyone? Comments,,, suggestions?

Ill be back on here later today,,, Have to replace copper pipe to pex tubing at a friends house.

I am really looking forward to any tips or advice,,,,,, Thanks all.

Are they from the same hatch? My pekin male started breeding the hens about 3-4 weeks before I saw the first egg, and from the first eggs, I have ducklings ready to hatch next Friday. Maybe Anconas are different though, where males take longer to mature than the females?

Do they have access to any sort of water besides drinking, or would it just freeze? I've noticed that ours do seem to have a good ole time mounting each other on dry land when the pool isn't available, but they don't seem to have sufficient balance to complete the act. Actually, they don't seem terribly proficient in the water, either, but I feel like they at least have a fighting chance there!
I imagine that while it's possible to successfully breed without water, perhaps it's an extra challenge that requires more experience than a young drake might have.

Christy

How quickly would it freeze? They only need a few minutes in the pool to do their thing and if there is suddenly fresh water available, they don't normally waste any time!
If you could manage even a big washtub on a less-cold-than-usual day here and there, that might help your fertility along.

Back
Top Bottom