Breeding age of Buckling?

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
I've heard even at 4months a Bucking can breed, ....but my buckling was born in April & I'm wondering about what month he'll be able to breed my does? And a size difference my be an issue as to how he can breed my does but they're all the same breed. I'd just hate to wait till April 2010 (at a yr old) to breed then have a kid born in Sept.
hmm.png
idunno.gif

Technically he's old enough now. However some boys take alittle longer to figure things out. From my experiance mini breeds and boers tend to figure things out alittle earlier then most, and nubians are alittle on the slow side. I've had nigi kids come out "looking for love", but most the nubians I've had weren't ready til 8 months or later!

So I don't know if that helps at all, but when your ready put them together and see what happens!

One of my boys was jumping anything that moved by the time he was 6wks. I don't believe he could have actually accomplished anything at that age, but it wasn't for lack of trying! I believe he has has a couple successful breedings at his new home already. He would be about 9mos now as he was born in January.

My 2 Does I'm looking to breed to my Early April born Buckling are all purebred LaManchas. My 2 adult LaMancha Does are smaller than my purebred adult Saanen Doe, but at their taller full grown size I though they'd be 'too tall' for breeding to my Buckling as he's smaller cuz of his younger age. Thanks for the info.
smile.png

What month is the safest early birthing month in a cold snow winter climate? I know I don't want a Jan, Feb, or March kidding due date, cuz of bitter temps & cold weather. Just wandered what is the ideal birthing date.

A buck should be able to breed by about 5 months or so. Some earlier, some later. You can give a small buck something to stand on to reach tall does. We use a pallet with some plywood on it so it is solid on top.

Back
Top Bottom