Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
Just set my 1st 7 Silver Sebright x Golden Laced Polish eggs today! Hopefully my rooster was successful at least once the past few months!
LOL. I'm sure he had to be at least once....
lol.png

I went ahead and made arrangements with the lady I was talking to about the showgirls to get a couple dozen eggs if she can get that many to set on the 15th in attempt to have some chicks hatching on Easter day. She has showgirls, silkies and NNs of course, frizzles, sizzles cochins and some other barnyard mixes all together so it'll be interesting to see what we get if any of them hatch. I'm really hoping for my showgirls.
fl.gif
I'll be bummed if I don't at least get a couple!

Are certain breeds known to crow at earlier ages?
I don't know but my cream legbars started making strangulated gargling sounds before four weeks old while still in the brooder.(It sounded like one of the pets was throwing up.) Conversely I have a mix who took six months to find his voice. He's making up for lost time now, though.

I don't know but my cream legbars started making strangulated gargling sounds before four weeks old while still in the brooder.(It sounded like one of the pets was throwing up.) Conversely I have a mix who took six months to find his voice. He's making up for lost time now, though.
My earliest crower was 7 weeks old (barred cross) when he started and my almost 6 month old (ee mix) just started crowing a week or so ago.

LOL. I'm sure he had to be at least once.... :lol:

I went ahead and made arrangements with the lady I was talking to about the showgirls to get a couple dozen eggs if she can get that many to set on the 15th in attempt to have some chicks hatching on Easter day. She has showgirls, silkies and NNs of course, frizzles, sizzles cochins and some other barnyard mixes all together so it'll be interesting to see what we get if any of them hatch. I'm really hoping for my showgirls. :fl   I'll be bummed if I don't at least get a couple!

He's been mating a lot but I've read that Sebrights have fertility issues. So, while there were fertile eggs a couple months ago & one a few weeks ago, not 100% any are that are in the incubator. :)

I hope you get your showgirls! They are so cute!

He's been mating a lot but I've read that Sebrights have fertility issues. So, while there were fertile eggs a couple months ago & one a few weeks ago, not 100% any are that are in the incubator.
smile.png

I hope you get your showgirls! They are so cute!
That's interesting.

I hope so too. I think they are oddly pretty too. Not everyone agrees though...lol I was trying to find someone that had showgirls/silkies seperated out for breeding purposes so I contacted an old family friend that has been in the chicken scene for a long time, their girl's were all in 4-H and I thought they might know someone. So she asked her husband and daughter and messaged me back saying they said they don't know anyone and why would I want them they are ugly...lol I won't lie, I've seen some rather ugly ones, but I've seen some really beautiful ones too.

That's interesting.

I hope so too. I think they are oddly pretty too. Not everyone agrees though...lol I was trying to find someone that had showgirls/silkies seperated out for breeding purposes so I contacted an old family friend that has been in the chicken scene for a long time, their girl's were all in 4-H and I thought they might know someone. So she asked her husband and daughter and messaged me back saying they said they don't know anyone and why would I want them they are ugly...lol  I won't lie, I've seen some rather ugly ones, but I've seen some really beautiful ones too.

Yeah, I'm super new to chickens (like, I didn't know they came in more varieties than white & brown until October), but that's what I've read & had someone on the boards tell me. I guess I'll find out soon!

I love their feathers so much! I guess I kinda gravitate to the more unusual looking things a majority of the time. Do you know if showgirls have the same temperament as silkies? I've heard they're really nice & personable.

Yeah, I'm super new to chickens (like, I didn't know they came in more varieties than white & brown until October), but that's what I've read & had someone on the boards tell me. I guess I'll find out soon!

I love their feathers so much! I guess I kinda gravitate to the more unusual looking things a majority of the time. Do you know if showgirls have the same temperament as silkies? I've heard they're really nice & personable.
That's pretty much what I've read, that they have a lot of the silkie temperment over the average. I have a nn roo and I'm pretty sure hen. I think my roo is gorgeous, (I've been told he's ugly-that's him when he was a bit younger in my profile pic.) my hen, not so much. Her bow tie is huge almost the full front of her neck and her coloring is quite blah. I knew she was mixed with an ee as she hatched from a green egg, pretty sure it was of the Araucana variety since she has these itty bitty tufts. lol I'm not a big fan of the Araucana tufts. I like the Amaricauna muffs and beards though..lol

My pullet barn yard cross laid her first egg at just five months old! So exciting! Three days and three eggs. Any name suggestions for her? She's small, black, and has a small crest. Her sister hasn't started laying yet, but I need a name for her too. She's small, yellow, and has no crest.

Back
Top Bottom