breeding and showing partridge silkies

Thank you ~~
Bat Cave Silkies are you only breeding black breasted partridge ? I really love them but also like the blue partridge ~~ I'm finding that with the blue their is alot of buff not so much red . I'm just learning genetics color by color
roll.png
and was curious to what others are looking like . I know there are quite a few partridge silkie lovers out here and would like to see pics if you would like to share . If not thats ok I'll let this thread die ~~ I am very gratefull for the help I recieved ~~ Tammy

In order to get correct coloration on the blue partridge, you would need to have a blue chest. To work towards that using the partridge (correct color for a partridge includes a black breast) you would want to select for roosters with solid blue or black chests.

With silkies, there are VERY FEW birds with solid black (or blue for blue partridge) breasts. In fact, I see many that have virtually no black feathering on their breasts. To me that means it is not truly a partridge.

Tammuy, I cannot tell how many of your bird's breast feathers are black, but I can certainly tell that they are there. His type looks very nice! The only reason for legbands is for identification. The only time it is really needed in a show is in judging trios when the hens are in the same cage--distinguishing which one placed higher than the other (if that occurred). They can also be helpful if there is a dispute over ownership of a specific bird.

Back
Top Bottom